What companies need to learn to make a successful game:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, I found a rock in my glass house! Yours? :roller: Cheats are just ways for smart people to achieve success by using out of the box methods, wouldn't you agree? It's effectively like beating the game, right, and offers similar satisfaction.

Complexity and commercial success are at odds. Not impossible to reconcile but risky and hard. Look at Angry Birds. Accessible, full of accomplishment, very little complexity. Does that make it a bad game? I don't think so. Then look at something like Portal. Simple yet lots of complexity. For those who can master it, it's very satisfying, but for the bulk of people, it's more trouble than its worth.

Can't blame games just because they reflect the intellect of society at large. I bet they play very cool complex games at MIT, but nobody gets rich selling games to just MIT students.

first of all you're comparing making cheats to simply using them. two completely different domains.

portal was a success.

and angry birds gets challenging. complexity and challenge are two different components, and i never said complex. also funny how huge of a success this game is, yet its a complete complete ripoff of that genre... hey im not blaming them, cuz the original implementations were heavily unpolished.

and im not arguing that simpletons like simple things. that doesnt change the fact that the bad movies and games they prefer are in fact bad movies and games. unfortunately thats what yields the maximum margin for the studios... because in the end, its all about $ for them and that means appealing to the majority which gets dumber every generation.

Yes. Most people don't finish most of the video games they play. And the broader an appeal a game has, and the longer the single player game, the more that holds true. I belive most people who played Angry Birds haven't finished it, though I have no data to back that assumption.

You're all hardcore gamers here. What percentage of the games that you play do you complete?

if its a fun game, 100%.

first of all you're comparing making cheats to simply using them. two completely different domains.
oh gimme a break man.
challenge = up here
you decide your team needs less
you dumbed down tribes.
took the challenge down here.
good job.

because you know
you love challenge
that's why I make cheats.

Theme park games should be designed to be finished by everybody. As with all story-driven entertainment, consumers shouldn't be blocked from the story because a puzzle is too obscure or timing is too hard for them. Interesting complexity mostly comes from playing with other people. We are past the age of "I figured out how to beat this game" because the entertainment experience overall is more valuable than mastering a cool game mechanic. For better or worse I cannot say, but it certainly seems the trend.

then they're not games anymore. theyre just interactive videos.

by your logic, they should make chess queens only just so it could be more accessible to the typical american kid.

and just because its a trend, doesnt mean its a good thing.

marweas is a cool guy, but everyone has their indoctrinated side based on whatever career/philosophy/religion/etc they subscribe to.

Angry Birds?

"we went to Apple with Chillingo and said, 'We've got something here.'"
On February 11, 2010, Apple agreed to feature Angry Birds on the front page of the UK App Store as game of the week.
After it was featured, the app jumped from the around 600th to first in the App Store.

it didn't make it to the top without some "cheating" of their own ;) it's fun, but will it go down in history as a great game? doubtful

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back