anyone into racing games / sims?

amRam

Contributor
Veteran XX
Im just building out a sim platform right now I dont know why I waited all these years to get into it. Who is playing what? Anyone do organized events? Whats the preferred game?

:wave:

(OFFICIAL TW GAMING CONTENT THREAD)

I used to be on iRacing and joined the Penny Arcade league (i got into simracing around the same time the artist guy Mike did). They are a really cool bunch with a wide range of skill levels and experience, and a nice little community grew to race in/with.

Because of my timezone I was pretty infrequent at making the actual league races, but still had fun in them occasionally. The best thing about that community for me was getting involved in the iRacing special events (endurance racing).

I've done a bunch...Petit Le Mans (12 hrs at Road Atlanta), 24 hours of Spa, Daytona, Nurburgring, a few other shorter ones. The PA crew do pickup teams to run these events based on availability, but there are also a sub teams within that league, and I am part of one, so I often did endurance events with the same group of guys. One of those things where my weird timezone actually helps, because I can fill in the gaps in the schedule.

Usually do something like drive an hour, pit for fuel and maybe tyres, drive another hour, switch drivers, and then repeat as necessary. My proudest simracing achievement is a p1 in the 24H of Nurburgring with a PA team. I drove for 6 hours with zero incidents (BMW GT3)

edit: another interesting thing with the special events is they are often multiclass, so there is traffic management to deal with...faster and slower cars on the track with you

This has been a long post to write on the bus, I'm gonna try and post some of my most fun YouTube highlights too :roller:

These days I am unfortunately retired temporarily from iRacing because I made the mistake of playing GT7 in VR on PS5, and I can't go back to flat racing. I'm not ready to pull the trigger on PCVR hardware yet until it gets better and more user friendly.

That said, since putting the monitor back on my rig I have a been having a fucking BLAST with Dirt Rally 2.0 even though it's not VR. Highly recommend that one.

My setup is pretty basic, just a g29 wheel with a fancy Acelith GT3 rim, and TLCM load cell pedals. Slight upgrade from the bottom end. The pedals make a big difference.

I'm pretty slow though :lol:

Last edited:
I wanted PSVR2 for GT7 but decided that money would better be spent on gear for my PC, which I already own. I didn't wanna buy a console just for on game, and then also be limited in which hardware I can use with it. Maybe I'll get a VR headset for that in the future. Is it really that good?

I just got Asetto Corsa for now, think it's good enough to get a fix? Eyeballing Automobilista2 if I decide to do any actual racing events.

TLCM pedals seem a good choice. You never itched to upgrade the wheel to DD?

I wanted PSVR2 for GT7 but decided that money would better be spent on gear for my PC, which I already own. I didn't wanna buy a console just for on game, and then also be limited in which hardware I can use with it. Maybe I'll get a VR headset for that in the future. Is it really that good?

I just got Asetto Corsa for now, think it's good enough to get a fix? Eyeballing Automobilista2 if I decide to do any actual racing events.

the PSVR2 is really excellent imo, even leaving GT7 aside there are some great games on there and even more coming. Resident Evil 4 remake is especially mind blowing. Like, the best game I've ever played :rocker:

sticking with one system is definitely simpler though!

AC is a fine place to start and get a fix, I think you can mod the hell out of that one. I have played more ACC which is the GT3 only sequel I think. The sound effects on that one are *chefs kiss*, when you drive under a bridge for example

TLCM pedals seem a good choice. You never itched to upgrade the wheel to DD?

there was a time when my plan was to spend ~10k on a rig when my house is built and I have more space...but a year down the line I don't feel the same, I'm really happy with my basic rig for now

between kids and gf and real life I only have so much time/energy, so you gotta decide if the juice is worth the squeeze yknow?

I hear iracing is good but everything has to be paid for individually? Cars tracks etc. Honestly I just wanna spend hours driving Nordschleife

yeah it's fucking expensive

subscription gives you a bunch of tracks and some free cars, and you can have a LOT of fun and good racing just with that...you could probably find a 1-3 month free trial somewhere

however it's a slippery slope and more cars and tracks cost like $10-$15 EACH and there a fucking shitload of them, and more releasing all the time

Nords is :heart: so I'm with you there. So nice to just put on some tunes and cruise

I recommend iRacing highly but it's definitely not for the faint of wallet

I'm ok with spending money but don't wanna throw it away randomly. Gonna stick with AC for now. I have a platform on the way, and already bought a Moza r9 base and GT wheel. Amazing build quality, I'm super impressed.

I'm looking for pedals and a shifter now. TLCM look like good value, might get those or the Moza SRPs are super affordable and have load cell brake pedal. Maybe I'll stick to Moza ecosystem.

Racing games that try to be realistic really limit themselves.

We need a new Jet Moto serious for the modern era. Or a wave race, pod racing, airplane racing, tibes-esq ski racing ect.

i haven't since my handheld racing game with steering wheel.... i need to look this shit up and reflect

tomydigitalderbyautoraceway002.jpg

not really though, there was mario kart and one other one where we had power ups and missiles etc.

I just bought a whole MOZA R12 system. They didn't have the MOZA pedals so I went with the Logitech Pro pedals which I was already interested in. Only downfall is if I ever get a PS5 and want to use it I will need the plug in Moza pedals into the R12 port I think.

I am racing in Project Cars 3, Forza Motorsports, Rally, and Assetto Corsa. Don't go full strength when learning your rig if you get a good setup. If set high enough you can break your wrist if you dont react correctly.

I just bought a whole MOZA R12 system. They didn't have the MOZA pedals so I went with the Logitech Pro pedals which I was already interested in. Only downfall is if I ever get a PS5 and want to use it I will need the plug in Moza pedals into the R12 port I think.

I am racing in Project Cars 3, Forza Motorsports, Rally, and Assetto Corsa. Don't go full strength when learning your rig if you get a good setup. If set high enough you can break your wrist if you dont react correctly.

you can get a gadget called a Drivehub which may help you with using wheel and pedals from different ecosystems on PS5

I don't know exactly what it supports, but works nicely for my Logi/Thrustmaster combo

and yep re: broken wrists...the guy who donated the frame for my rig to me had this setup with a fuckin emergency stop button...be careful with those DDs

20200830-141859.jpg

funnily enough he was another Ian from the UK who moved to Wellington

Are you guys running shifters? The guy I'm buying my platform from is offering me a Frex H pattern shifter at a good price.

Differences between Project Cars and AC?

I don't use a separate shifter, just the paddles on my wheel

I haven't got direct experience with Project Cars, but have read pretty negative things, and it sounds like each release has gone downhill, e.g. PC1 was OK, PC2 was more game/less sim, then PC3 was super arcadey and extremely hated

Back