Wisconsin Labor Rally Pictures

im not trying to make a quick joke or anything, I really believe you think that makes you look intelligent

but then taking the time to explain the meaning of a word anyone could google in 5 seconds takes a special kind of vaingloriousness.

This coming from a pear that thought I made up the word infrastructure.

I always find it amusing when people say that the biggest problem around is a public union, while ignoring the massive amounts of subsidies paid out to pharma as 'healthcare expenses' from the gov't, and the fact that your life depends on the good graces of an insurance company if you're not sufficiently moneyed/famous.

Yeah, privatize yourself into heaven, be my guest.

I always find it amusing when people say that the biggest problem around is a public union, while ignoring the massive amounts of subsidies paid out to pharma as 'healthcare expenses' from the gov't, and the fact that your life depends on the good graces of an insurance company if you're not sufficiently moneyed/famous.

Obama already took care of that with Obamacare.

triple and all republicans, tell me why you think bankers should each get $500 billion of taxpayer money while destroying the economy and sending all jobs overseas, but get pissed off when someone gets a few thousand through a union

Right now I'm resorting to rewriting entire chapters of the books in ways that illustrate the concepts more and delve into practical applications, and posted them as google docs that everyone can read, comment on and distribute. I've reconstructed lesson plans to show the concepts as a "tech tree", and thus why each concept is important, instead of just one plodding section after another from an endless treadmill of a book.

I received so much better reactions from this I'm beginning to wonder why others aren't doing it. The most likely explanation to me is that we're stuck with the idea of these same-old brick-and-mortar textbooks, and base our entire lesson plans on whatever they say, however they say it.
Bravo. Maybe you could also help contribute to Wikiversity

Yes, that is a valid problem. I'd back a political party that promised to solve that problem, but none exist as their pockets are deep into both dems and repubs. Public employee unions only back dems, so finding people that will fight them is easy.

i realize this thread is about Wisconsin but i wanted to bring this up from Cali to show what i believe is what many Americans are worried about with these public unions and their retirement benefits.

9,111 retired California government workers receive pensions in excess of $100,000 from CalPERS.

Name Monthly Annual Employer
MALKENHORST, BRUCE $42,472.05 $509,664.60 VERNON
FUSTER, JOAQUIN $25,207.66 $302,491.92 UC LOS ANGELES
GERTH, DONALD $23,635.76 $283,629.12 CSU SACRAMENTO
GARRETT, WILLIAM $23,191.02 $278,292.24 EL CAJON
STAHL, JAMES $22,587.99 $271,055.88 L A CO SANIT #2
SCHLAG, JOHN $21,725.87 $260,710.44 UC LOS ANGELES
SCHACHTER, JULIUS $21,199.31 $254,391.72 UC SAN FRANCISC
METTE, DONALD $20,083.31 $240,999.72 SACRAMENTO METR
TOONE, ROBERT $19,800.53 $237,606.36 PALMDALE
OKI, DIANNE $19,648.82 $235,785.84 STATE COMP INS

5,309 retired teachers and administrators receive pensions in excess of $100,000 from CalSTRS.

Name Monthly Annual District
ISAACS, DANIEL M $29,580.00 $354,960.00 LAUSD
FISHER, ROBERT J $27,926.73 $335,120.76 LAUSD
ENOCHS, JAMES C $24,712.95 $296,555.40 MODESTO CITY ELE ...
WENTWORTH, FREDRICK $24,207.07 $290,484.84 SAN JOAQUIN COUN ...
HERNANDEZ JR, EDWARD $23,866.35 $286,396.20 RANCHO SANTIAGO ...
SHATTUCK, VIRGINIA J $23,564.19 $282,770.28 NORWALK-LA MIRAD ...
JAQUE-ANTON, DONNALYN E $22,811.40 $273,736.80 LAUSD
SMITH, JAMES F $22,681.86 $272,182.32 EVERGREEN ELEMEN ...
RAINEY, SUSAN J $22,167.84 $266,014.08 RIVERSIDE UNIFIE ...
MILLER, MARILYN L $21,963.66 $263,563.92 HILLSBOROUGH CIT ...

1,642 retired University of California employees receive pensions in excess of $100,000 from UC.

Name Monthly Annual Location
MILLER, GEORGE H $22,506.26 $270,075.12 LLNL
CESARIO, THOMAS C $20,021.66 $240,259.92 IRVINE
HOLST, JAMES E $19,760.80 $237,129.60 UCOP
CONNOLLY, JOHN E $19,738.70 $236,864.40 IRVINE
SCHROCK, THEODORE R $19,367.18 $232,406.16 SAN FRANCISCO
WHITE, STUART C $19,218.26 $230,619.12 LOS ANGELES
TARTER, C BRUCE $19,077.22 $228,926.64 LLNL
TASHKIN, DONALD P $18,581.20 $222,974.40 LOS ANGELES
KREIGER, ALLAN E $18,330.78 $219,969.36 LOS ANGELES
BROWNE, JOHN C $18,029.95 $216,359.40 LANL

to continue to pay these people this amount for retirement for life is totally unsustainable. 2 or 3 years ago a city about 20 minutes from me called Vallejo had to file for bankruptcy because they could no longer honor the cities retirements and health care benefits and the unions, still would not budge at all.

Bankrupt Vallejo cuts firefighter pension costs

Among the savings in the firefighter contract are health costs, limited to 75 percent of Kaiser health plan rates. The total compensation for a firefighter/paramedic with 10 years of service is $178,000, down 23 percent from $230,000 in the old contract.
[.....]
A chart in a tentative city workout plan last December showed a payment of 18.7 percent of payroll next fiscal year under the CalPERS plan. The city proposal is 32.6 percent of payroll.

Vallejo had been paying nearly all of the cost of health care insurance for retirees and their families. The city plan last December was to make cuts reducing the long-term retiree health care debt from $135 million to $34 million.

now, Wisconsin is doing very well with managing their pensions compared to Cali and many of the other state as you can see here from PEW research centers State Pensions and Retiree Health Benefits: The Trillion Dollar Gap

Wisonsin pdf

compared to California's.

California pdf

you can check out how your state is doing too here: State details

something needs to be done about this before it destroys us all and the unions know they are part of the problem but their entitlement mentality blinds them to damage they are causing.

Yes, that is a valid problem. I'd back a political party that promised to solve that problem, but none exist as their pockets are deep into both dems and repubs. Public employee unions only back dems, so finding people that will fight them is easy.

You could also try banning campaign contributions greater than $1/individual, no gifts, no corporate donations. One vote per person, one dollar per person.

I'm not too familiar (at all) with the in's and out's of US laws regarding this though, so that may be idiotic.

What disturbs me most about this is everyone says "rights" but means "cash"

Blah blah blah families, blah blah blah rights, blah blah blah its about money

Money

Not Rights

Not so. Every worker in Wisconsin has the right to try and form a union, and have that union act as the bargaining agent for all that are in it. This bill would make a LAW that would allow unions to bargain for salaries ONLY for state workers. Working conditions, evaluation procedures, health benefits-- all of that would be off the table and at the sole discretion of the state.

In fact, the salaried compensation (the money, as you said) is the only part that the union would be allowed to negotiate for, were this to become a real law. Because the labor relations board oversees every working person's rights, this is the governor is trying to pass a new LAW. He has to change the laws so that state workers are precluded from the rights every other worker has. We aren't protesting for money, this is about rights. We offered to give him the money he was asking for, provided we could retain our right to collectively bargain, just like every other worker in the state. This is all about rights.

In other news, the rally is supposed to be 100,000 today. I, for one, am tired and will watch it on paperview.

Protesters plan biggest rally at Wisconsin Capitol - USATODAY.com

I hope we don't have to strike, but we're prepared to.

link if possible/appropriate?
The only thing I've got online right now is a chapter summary of linear algebra I threw together for the students' midterm. The tech tree thing was done offline for a different class. I'll integrate more eventually, but for now I have to grade papers :/

Bravo. Maybe you could also help contribute to Wikiversity
Thanks for the link. It looks like their stuff is kind of bare-bones right now. I want to develop my own ideas more before I start to sell other people on them.

Niggers and spics vs white population.

QED
Virginia is 70% white, and California is 42%. Virginia is on the list, California is not. Try again?

Isn't it illegal for you to strike?

Yup. Well, not Vanster, he's unemployed.

And let's be clear about something. In 2009, the Democrats in Wisconsin expanded the public union's benefits. All the governor is trying to do is roll back that expansion to what it was before. The benefits package the public union gets is already excessively generous and would still be a sweetheart deal even if the governor succeeds.

As it stands, the teachers should all be fired. I predict that at the very least large layoffs will happen soon. I don't think the governor is bluffing and he has the support of the majority of the voters to back it up. No matter how many union thugs get bussed in from out of state.

And in all of this, the poor poor children are all forgotten.

PLEASE TEACH ME I WANT TO LEARN

sad_child.jpg

SHUT UP CHILD, WE NEED OUR HANDOUTS!!!!!!

r-TEACHERS-STRIKE-large570.jpg

BUT I JUST WANT TO LEARN:

sad-child1.gif

U.S. Education Slips In Rankings - CBS News

Read more: U.S. slipping in education rankings - UPI.com

The US is falling like a rock in education but we should just keep giving teachers more money where in any other job a poor performer would be fired.

I'd like to see more charter schools.
How much has the Mexican/Latino/whatever the fuck you want to call it population grown in the past 20 years? I'll give you a hint... It went up approximately 37% in the US in the past 10 years.

Last edited:
Back