Growing mushrooms

Lot of those grow around here, walk around under the pine trees after a good rain and they are coming up everywhere.

Gold tops for all :sunny:

Plenty of money. Was planning on doing PF Tek poor man method.

The problem with PF tek for me is that I don't trust spore syringes.

1.When you inject with a spore syringe you're likely also introducing contaminations with the spores. At that point, it's a race to see if the mycelium can outpace the bacteria or mold. Most of my early failures were because of this.
2. Genetic issues. when you inject hundreds of thousands of spores into a substrate... you're basically crossing your fingers hoping that your babies aren't born retarded.

The solution I found was to use my spore syringe to innoculate a petri dish (or 10) and let the mycelium/contams grow as they would. Then you can cut healthy samples of mycelium out of those original dishes and transfer them to a clean one. If you repeat this process a few times you've "isolated" clean mycelium with healthy genetics to a single petri.

When you're ready to innoculate your jars, you just cut a wedge out of the petri dish and drop it into a jar and shake the hell out of it. Since the mycelium is already present (not just spores) it already has a head start and grows like wildfire.

All of this work has to be done in a glove box or a flow hood. If you take the lid off of a petri dish it will be instantly contaminated by the mold and bacteria that is randomly floating about.

I built a flow hood with a HEPA filter. Made a box with one side being the filter. Mount a squirrel cage fan that blows into the box and creates positive pressure forcing clean air out of the HEPA wall. You do your work in front of the laminar air flow and it prevents molds and bacteria from falling on your work surface.

Last edited:
The solution I found was to use my spore syringe to innoculate a petri dish (or 10) and let the mycelium/contams grow as they would. Then you can cut healthy samples of mycelium out of those original dishes and transfer them to a clean one. If you repeat this process a few times you've "isolated" clean mycelium with healthy genetics to a single petri.

When you're ready to innoculate your jars, you just cut a wedge out of the petri dish and drop it into a jar and shake the hell out of it. Since the mycelium is already present (not just spores) it already has a head start and grows like wildfire.

All of this work has to be done in a glove box or a flow hood. If you take the lid off of a petri dish it will be instantly contaminated by the mold and bacteria that is randomly floating about.

I built a flow hood with a HEPA filter. Made a box with one side being the filter. Mount a squirrel cage fan that blows into the box and creates positive pressure forcing clean air out of the HEPA wall. You do your work in front of the laminar air flow and it prevents molds and bacteria from falling on your work surface.
Approximately how long would this take to isolate the healthy mycelium?

The first culture takes about 2 weeks to fully colonize a petri dish. After that, each step of isolation should take approximately a week. If you're confident that you'd isolated contaminations and weak genes out of your culture you could just roll with it after the first isolation.

pick the purest white 'ropey' looking fungus you can find and start inoculating your jars.

I like Rye Grain or Wild Bird Seed for the substrate in my quart jars.

Last edited:
This is true. Probably why I haven't grown in a couple of years.

I prefer LSD
longer trip. 12 to 14 hours vs. 6 to 8
cheaper. $8 a hit vs. $25 an 1/8th
doesn't make me dry heave trying to eat it. Just swallow a tasteless tiny bit of paper.

Last edited:
this seems like a lot of work 4 something that is v cheap

It must be very satisfying making yourself shit and puke all on your own.

Try this method - scoop up some dogshit in a small Dixie cup. Sprinkle with Chia seeds. Add water. Wait until the Chia seeds grow out the top of the cup. Eat the whole lot and down the sludge.

u will trip ballz bro

Back