Fantasy/Sci-fi Book recommendations revisited

I just finished Ender's game. It is a personal opinion but good god, what a slow ass book to read through. I won't be finishing up that series. Way overrated.

One of my all time favorites, its amazing how tastes vary

almost done rereading name of the wind so i can start day 2

ender's game is terribly overrated. give mistborn a chance if you haven't read it. it's not the greatest trilogy in the world, but the progression of the plot far exceeds where you think it is going when you start it. you'll understand after the first book.

I loved Ender's game... but i was an angry nerd child when I read it. :p Never was able to finish Speaker for the Dead and didnt give the rest of the series much of a chance.

Window, day 2 is even better :] Enjoy.

Finished Wise Man's Fear yesterday. Great read. He has a knack for episodic writing... no cliffhanger bs, solid conclusion, but still leaves you wanting more.

Finished it in 3 days. It was one of those books where I'm so caught up reading it that the next thing I know it's 3:30 AM and pissed that I have to stop.

That's rarer and rarer for me these days.

Great book.

Mythago Wood
Anything by terry pratchett (for satirical fantasy)
ender's game, speaker for the dead
Graphic novel called "Pax Romana"

ender's game is terribly overrated. give mistborn a chance if you haven't read it. it's not the greatest trilogy in the world, but the progression of the plot far exceeds where you think it is going when you start it. you'll understand after the first book.

meh, mistborn was enjoyable but the writing felt pretty dumbed down. its hard to describe, but most of the characters seemed like they were complete idiots who just happened to win by getting lucky, rather than being intelligent or talented in their own right.

Oh, and I hated that the author felt the need to describe every fucking dress, like his intended audience of nerdy males would give a shit about female fashion.

meh, mistborn was enjoyable but the writing felt pretty dumbed down. its hard to describe, but most of the characters seemed like they were complete idiots who just happened to win by getting lucky, rather than being intelligent or talented in their own right.

Oh, and I hated that the author felt the need to describe every fucking dress, like his intended audience of nerdy males would give a shit about female fashion.

It had the typical, formulaic and somewhat 'flat' feel of an author's very early (or first) work.

Not surprising.

Still managed to be interesting and worth reading which is a pretty big compliment considering what a difficult thing an epic fantasy series can be to pull off.

it's overhyped for sure

but certainly not a bad book

i would like to reccomend Eisenhorn by Dan Abnett to this thread (sci fi)

Just finished Mistborn yesterday... I enjoyed it up until
Spoiler
and whiny characters which isn't really up my alley. Pretty good read though.

Why would you start WoT now when the last book in the series comes out in 2012? Wait a year so you don't have to wait between books.

One of my all time favorites, its amazing how tastes vary

almost done rereading name of the wind so i can start day 2

yeah I read name of the wind only like 5 or 6 months ago but I'm reading it again even though day 2 is sitting on my nightstand. :( I'm also reading it much slower this time just because. First time I read it in 3 days. I'll probably still think the 2nd half was kinda shitty, but the first half is so awesome. Hopefully day 2 is solid throughout.

That kind of ruined it for me. When
Spoiler
it feels like an editor needs to step in and tell the author to put the pen down. Still, aside from the overly-epic ending I thought it was a good series worth reading.

Spoiler
it feels like an editor needs to step in and tell the author to put the pen down. Still, aside from the overly-epic ending I thought it was a good series worth reading.

:barf: That shit sucks.

Spoiler

Yeah the ending was a bit much. I didn't find it too terrible but it made everything seem less important.

I don't mind it but I think they could have done a bit more with it. The next book apparently takes place 300 years after The Hero of Ages, so it may be interesting.

For some reason I kept picturing Sazed(and Terrisman in general) as Garrus from Mass Effect:

20100613145458!Garrus_Vakarian-Council_Chambers-After_the_argument_with_Executor_Pallin.png

Back