Hot water or cold water for fat loss

Ok TW doctors, settle something.

I've always heard that cold water is conducive to weight loss because your body has to increase calorie usage to raise the temp of the water when you drink it.

But just lately , im hearing people and seeing online where it says hot water is best for fat loss as hot water helps break down fat tissue.

I mean i guess both could be true, but does one work better than the other?
Let me start off by saying this is an incredibly stupid question that I never thought anyone would actually debate. I guess we all have different circles.

With that said, physics-wise, your body expends energy on producing heat. Drinking cold water would make you lose heat therefore "cost" more energy. This is a fact, albeit stupid and pointless as it makes no real-world difference in the slightest, even most minute measuring. Zero.

Drinking very hot water however, might have some less obvious side-effects, like speeding up your heart rate due to adrenaline rush and/or your brain thinking (or knowing) you are being burned, similar to the effect of eating spicy food, etc. This obviously would make you expend more energy. It most certainty has zero effect on "breaking up fat cells." This isn't like rinsing your oily dish off in the sink with hot water. Hot/cold water doesn't reach your fat cells in anything other than your body's internal temperature.

If you're thirsty, it means you're already dehydrated to some extent, so drink colder water as it will leave your stomach faster and be absorbed by your small intestines (and therefore blood) quicker.

This is all really stupid though.

Last edited:
In high school, we had a lesbian teacher duo (chemistry and algebra) and the chemistry teacher was really low key and stayed on topic and was pretty cool. The algebra teacher was an insufferable annoying twat that went on at length about date night and all the details about what they ordered, and for whatever reason, she told us so many times how she drinks hot water and she would GAFFAW everytime how the server was confused and thought it was the funniest shit ever. I have no idea why I remember this, but this thread reminds me of those scissoring lesbians. I always thought it was weird, because you already got the hot water, you got the coffee mug, why not just make hot tea like a normal person?

did we ever figure out if warm water melts ur fat lmfao

Well, it appears that both are correct. Drinking icewater does require your body to exert energy to warm the icewater up, burning calories. Warm water boosts metabolism and breaks down fat to be used for energy.

But both are in very small amounts

You corrected me on fructose. Thanks.

Does that mean you're gonna eat some fruit now Juggs? I always throw a good few blueberries or raspberries in my breakfast cereal and my protein shake. Bananas also top drawer for fuel. Pineapple and watermelon by the ton too. Do it for your kid Juggs.

Back