If you live in California, you should own a dog.

this just means dogs are evil conspirators. i think they're in cahoots with cats. they maintain a hatred of each other for plausible deniability.

Yes, dog alert gives you just enough time to say, "Uuuhh??" before the ground starts rocking. The value of this cannot be overstated.

back when i lived in san diego my cat would go mental at quakes that you could hardly even feel. most quakes in sd are like that though

ofn already posted in other thread earlier

also the ground had shaken a little before the main jolts, the dog didnt sense much there (sad to say as i love dogs and wish they could sense stuff)

watch the glass reflection in the 2nd camera angle to see the small shaking that the dog picked up, 3 seconds before the big jolts you see in the 1st angle

im a bearded guy and i own a dog living in California... shweeeeewww i got all bases covered.

on the real tho.. when i was a kid i was in the Whittier earthquake which was a 5.9 and witnessed my dog freak out a few seconds beforehand as well. he did not take off running tho. He jsut started howling. All tho that earthquake was the same.. a small jolt first then the big jolt.. even still my dog was howling before i felt anything.

Last edited:
sometimes i feel like theres a minor eq when there isnt, probably because im tired and or still drunk from the previous night ;)

So if the ground started shaking a small amount, unlike the dog, i may just think its nothing

My office building's floor shakes at random sometimes, often when large people walk nearby. I did notice the first earthquake last week in milpitas when I was at work, it was short but I could tell it wasn't someone walking by because of the slight lateral movement

Lame. It only had few seconds to react...i was able to sense last two earthquakes we had here last week few seconds before as well...

But of course, unlike a dog, i did not get up and run out. I simply paused doing whatever and paid attention.

ofn already posted in other thread earlier

also the ground had shaken a little before the main jolts, the dog didnt sense much there (sad to say as i love dogs and wish they could sense stuff)

watch the glass reflection in the 2nd camera angle to see the small shaking that the dog picked up, 3 seconds before the big jolts you see in the 1st angle

This ^

At :37 on the timer on the camera there is a minor jolt, the dog feels this and gets up and runs at precisely that exact time.

Back