Should tik-tok be banned?

Did you know that the Trump organization planned and executed the Columbine massacre, and employed Harris and Klebold?

Not posting a link to any evidence, I'm just asking if you knew.

Is TikTok different in China compared to the U.S.? A social media analyst compares it to opium and spinach
Although they’re owned by the same company, TikTok in China offers a child-friendly version, with educational videos and a time limit, that isn’t offered in the U.S.

Now I'm back to you being ignorant
but no
pretty sure you're complicit

The U.S. considers another TikTok ban. Here’s what the bill does - The Washington Post

This has been brought up before because of the Chinese government's involvement with tik-tok. I am surprised that some other company in the U.S. hasn't jumped in with a TT clone already and taken over the market.

I think it probably should be banned, especially with specific people (government and infrastructure workers, minors) but with people already talking about it being a free speech issue, i doubt that it can be

twitter straight up had it with Vine...seems crazy they shut it down and never did anything with it

the only thing with tiktok is that the Chinese government wouldn't allow an American company app that did the same thing.......

but I think we should be better than china....so basically don't know, don't care.

also, I believe the "fear" is that the Chinese government could influence algorithms, not so much that the app runs some sort of code that steals data

Nefarious Tik-Tok executives flipping on the American data stealing influence switch (dramatization):

The whole problem here is that a Chinese company owns tiktok and they're vacuuming up data on American kids for nefarious purposes but WE WANT TO VACUUM THEIR DATA FOR NEFARIOUS PURPOSES

The whole problem here is that a Chinese company owns tiktok and they're vacuuming up data on American kids for nefarious purposes but WE WANT TO VACUUM THEIR DATA FOR NEFARIOUS PURPOSES

Okay but I hear this a lot. Ancestry.com is owned by Mormon billionaires, therefore ancestry.com results cannot be trusted. I'm not buying that. This just lends credence to the Validuz/reggs group that posit that because Jews have won Nobel prizes in science, all science is skewed.

It's dumb.

When someone shows me (and I would not put it past the CCP to try), that China is actively manipulating Tik Tok content and we just can't figure out that they are doing it, I'm going to dismiss all this with my one uncle that insists that fluoridated water is the basis for mind control.

Yeah, whatever. It's kids making dumb videos to dumb disco and that's about it.

I am just really concerned about China collecting data on our narcissistic suburban wine mom population and the already doomed Gen Zers.

I don't do TikTok but my wife does and all she seems to get is puppies.

What are the Chinese doing to the puppies, and why?

Okay but I hear this a lot. Ancestry.com is owned by Mormon billionaires, therefore ancestry.com results cannot be trusted. I'm not buying that. This just lends credence to the Validuz/reggs group that posit that because Jews have won Nobel prizes in science, all science is skewed.

It's dumb.

When someone shows me (and I would not put it past the CCP to try), that China is actively manipulating Tik Tok content and we just can't figure out that they are doing it, I'm going to dismiss all this with my one uncle that insists that fluoridated water is the basis for mind control.

Yeah, whatever. It's kids making dumb videos to dumb disco and that's about it.

Tiktok in China vs. the U.S. — How are they different? | Deseret News – Deseret News

lthough they’re both owned by ByteDance, Douyin — China’s version of TikTok — offers a different version of the social media app that is unavailable to the rest of the world, especially for children.

“It’s almost like they recognize that technology is influencing kids’ development, and they make their domestic version a spinach version of TikTok, while they ship the opium version to the rest of the world,” Tristan Harris, a former Google employee, and advocate for social media ethics, said of China’s approach to TikTok.

“If you’re under 14 years old, they show you science experiments you can do at home, museum exhibits, patriotism videos and educational videos,” said Harris, according to “60 Minutes,” adding that children in China were limited to only 40 minutes a day on the app.

“There’s a survey of pre-teens in the U.S. and China asking, ‘what is the most aspirational career that you want to have?’ and in the U.S., the No. 1 was a social media influencer, and in China, the No. 1 was astronaut,” Harris said. “You allow those two societies to play out for a few generations and I can tell you what your world is going to look like

Analysis: There is now some public evidence that China viewed TikTok data | CNN Business

US officials have long insisted the Chinese government may be able to view the personal information of TikTok users — but that claim was purely speculative. Until now.

In what appears to be a first, a former employee of ByteDance, TikTok’s Beijing-based parent company, has outlined specific claims that the Chinese Communist Party accessed the data of TikTok users on a broad scale, and for political purposes.

In a court filing this week, the former employee of ByteDance, Yintao Yu, alleged that the CCP spied on pro-democracy protesters in Hong Kong in 2018 by using “backdoor” access to TikTok to identify and monitor the activists’ locations and communications.

Multiple security experts told CNN that this appears to be the first reported allegation of the CCP accessing actual TikTok user data. The explosive claim, which ByteDance disputes, could inflame a global debate over whether TikTok poses a security threat and whether policymakers are right to ban the short-form video app.

TikTok is burrowing into the devices — and the brains — of teens and tweens around the world. But, as the app’s Beijing-based parent company Bytedance is aggressively exporting the social media equivalent of heroin, it’s serving up a far less-damaging product in China that’s designed to protect their own youth.

While TikTok has become the most popular app in the rest of the world, a domestic version called Douyin is available to Chinese consumers. The apps are nearly identical — but with one critical difference: users under 14 are required to use Douyin in healthy moderation on “teenage mode.”

Young, impressionable users are limited to 40 minutes a day between 6 a.m. and 10 p.m. to ensure they get adequate sleep. Endless zombie-like scrolling is interrupted by mandatory 5-second delays. They’re also only shown specially-selected “inspiring” content.

“The algorithm is vastly different, promoting science, educational and historical content in China while making our citizens watch stupid dance videos with the main goal of making us imbeciles,” Nicolas Chaillan, former Air Force and Space Force Chief Software Officer told the Post.

While American youth are performing hyper-sexualized dances and engaging in absurd viral trends, like the deadly NyQuil Chicken Challenge, their Chinese counterparts are treated to a curated stream of videos promoting patriotism, social cohesion and personal aspirations.

For instance, a quick scroll through Douyin shows videos of teachers being celebrated, at-home science experiments and a man solving a Rubik’s cube blindfolded.

China is hurting US kids with TikTok, but protecting its own

TikTok’s Chinese platform enriches kids while US version dumbs them down: report | The Post Millennial | thepostmillennial.com

I drive electric. It's cheap and made for free and really good for the environment. I don't drink coffee anymore either, stimulants are bad for the pancreas.

I am just really concerned about China collecting data on our narcissistic suburban wine mom population and the already doomed Gen Zers.

Well same, I guess.

What are we to do? I know nothing about IT and what they are doing. . .I'm leaving it to Kinetic Powet, Havax, and the rest, to protect me.

Don't take the bait.

If censorship comes to USA, foreign services like this will be the only free places.

The number of parents who don't let their kids have phones or pads is skyrocketing quickly. Although tik tok is bad for all it's destroying left wing fertility the most.
Absolutely disagree. Social media as a whole isn't just destroying liberals' kids. It's all of them. And some social media is worse.

We are as free as it gets and there will never be an alternative. If we fall in that regard, then there is no hope elsewhere and definitely not from communist shitholes like China.

p.s. We "block" children from doing a lot of stuff, because they're children. I don't know why this would be any different.

Back