How to tenderize tough meat

Rev_Night

Welches
Veteran XV
So i made some steaks the other day b/c Safeway had a sale. 5 Steaks that are normally $22 were $8 instead. I didnt feel like using the stove and i was too lazy for the smoker/charqual grill, so i decided to use the propane grill. I had never cooked steaks this way, and even at the lowest setting, the grill managed to make the steaks really tough.

To the cooking experts, if beef has been over cooked and its really tough, is there a way to tenderize it again?

the only way i can imagine you cooked them to toughness is low temperature for too long.

were they well done?

and to answer your question, no.

I'm confused, you want to tenderize meat you've already cooked?

edit: and the best steaks are ones pan seared with a cast iron skillet

the only way i can imagine you cooked them to toughness is low temperature for too long.

were they well done?

and to answer your question, no.

beef, when properly done, can be very, very tender.

I am not used to the nuances of propane steak cooking. Also, the grill had a peice of metal break off, so now its a direct heat grill. I put down tinfoil to try and make it an even indirect heat. I left the meat on for about 10 min at the lowest setting, all 5 steaks. When i came back to them, they were tough, but still bleeding (thus not cooked enough). Here is where it gets strange. How can this meat be tough (indicating overcooked) yet still bleeding (indicating undercooked) and when the gas grill is on its lowest heat setting?

Last edited:
beef, when properly done, can be very, very tender.

I am not used to the nuances of propane steak cooking. Also, the grill had a peice of metal break off, so now its a direct heat grill. I put down tinfoil to try and make it an even indirect heat. I left the meat on for about 10 min at the lowest setting, all 5 steaks. When i came back to them, they were tough, but still bleeding (thus not cooked enough). Here is where it gets strange. How can this meat be tough (indicating overcooked) yet still bleeding (indicating undercooked) and when the gas grill is on its lowest heat setting?

It depends what cut of meat it is. There are 20 cuts and different ways to do them.

But that's not how you do any of them.

Eat it. It'll break down in your ass. There's a saying in Finland: kyllä se perseessä pehmenee.

propane grills are garbage

throw yours off a cliff

KoHPropane_300.jpg

It depends what cut of meat it is. There are 20 cuts and different ways to do them.

But that's not how you do any of them.

well, i was cooking pork loins out on the grill, and low and slow (like 10 min a side), they were godlike. i figured steaks were the same way :shrug::mecry:

Back