Manly shit

serbian knives were the gimmick of 2019
we can fondly remember the pre-covid times w them
thats about it

The company, Coolina, has Helen in operations:
helen_d04f2610-9ec6-48c6-83fa-bcc386026813_480x480.png

More:
https://coolinastore.com/pages/our-story

I wonder if many of these people even exist?

Coolina mentions being "Coolina US" but uses Chinese manufactured items.
They have a video that looks like a US marketing style but this does not appear to be how they manufacture. The backing music sounds Chinese too.

Serbian Chefs and Chinese Tycoons FTW?

I imagine that the Chinese company behind the goods also runs sites like:
Knife Pickers - Pick Your Perfect Knife

That looks like it was a corporate creation made to look like a private review site.

Oh the internet...

Planning on doing some scalping?

Get this if u want a cleaver

Dexter Russell Traditional 7" High Carbon Steel Cleaver 08070 5387

4oQrLte.jpg

(they go up to a 9" in stainless if you want a really heavy one)

Not sure if they still do an original Green River one, I have a few Green River knives, they are very nice. I also have a set of their silver cutlery from the mid/late 1800's.

Actually, the cleaver that I have is from Cutco:

Amazon.com: Cutco #1737 High Carbon Stainless Blade Cleaver without Sheath (Classic Black Handle) : Home Kitchen

I got mine in Anchorage at the city fair (16th street mall, if you know ANC) about the same time I got Tribes (November 1999) and spent maybe $250 on it. They are way more expensive now but (spoiler) they are stamped. :mad:

I have a chef's knife that I consulted Giga about and he recommended(Wusthof)
61tnteH-lIL._AC_SS450_.jpg

and it's really good but takes forever to sharpen, because the steel is so hard.

So yeah, they are cheaper and they look funny

promaja-912761_800x.jpg

BUT they are still high carbon and forged, so sharpening should be relatively painless. Chopping vegetables is one of those things that is oddly satisfying, and you all know it.

How often do any of you actually sharpen your knives? I do it maybe once every couple years. Typically, my knives do not need it that often, but straightening the blades is common and needs to be done every couple of weeks.

How often do any of you actually sharpen your knives? I do it maybe once every couple years. Typically, my knives do not need it that often, but straightening the blades is common and needs to be done every couple of weeks.

I'll grind it on diamond once a month or two, but I usually hone before each use

Doesn't the height of those cleaver things Vanster posted make them a bit wobbly for chopping? Seems awkward. I'll take a standard chefs knife.

i'll run mine across the leather strop block a few times per week.

i use this knife just about everyday.

Amazon.com: Global 7 Kitchen

51fhnIRWA6L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

the strop keeps it razor sharp.

I am told that Global is the shit, and if you use a strap (like you do) that Japanese steel stays sharp and you won't ever have trouble. I'm back and forth on asian steel. Yeah, I like it because it's easy to sharpen, but again, german steel stays harder for longer (insert sex joke).

Honestly, I might just say fuck it and get a Global. Unless I'm completely mistaken, You're the guy that propounded Beyerdynamic headphones, and they have been the best headphones I've ever had.

You might actually know what you are doing.

I was about to say I too will buy one of these "Global" knives but then I saw the price and I'm feeling very frugal about spending coin on a knife my wife will invariably carelessly toss into our stainless sink on a regular basis.

Perhaps.....a new wife

On topic of sharpening - I use 2 stones, but I'm not very good at it. The main knife still cuts tomatoes adequately when I'm done with it tho, but I'd love to perfect a mirror edge. Maybe the problem is the shitty knife.

I was about to say I too will buy one of these "Global" knives but then I saw the price and I'm feeling very frugal about spending coin on a knife my wife will invariably carelessly toss into our stainless sink on a regular basis.

Perhaps.....a new wife

oh man, i'll say this, if you do get a global like mine and you have a wife, get an edge guard. this motherfucker is so sharp, if you drop it just right on your finger it will cut to the bone with no problem. it's a bad ass knife, makes cutting veggies and meat a pleasure, but it's a dangerous bastard around a clutz.

these are pretty decent. Amazon.com: Messermeister Knife Edge Guard Set, 4 Piece, Black: Knife Storage Items: Home Kitchen

also, if you do get globals, forget the stone, get a leather strop block and some compound, learn to strop, it's easy and quick.

also, tell your wife that when she uses the global, she needs to immediately hand wash it and dry it thoroughly and then protect the blade with a blade guard before she puts it away or it's divorce for her gg

Last edited:
oh man, i'll say this, if you do get a global like mine and you have a wife, get an edge guard. this motherfucker is so sharp, if you drop it just right on your finger it will cut to the bone with no problem. it's a bad ass knife, makes cutting veggies and meat a pleasure, but it's a dangerous bastard around a clutz.

these are pretty decent. Amazon.com: Messermeister Knife Edge Guard Set, 4 Piece, Black: Knife Storage Items: Home Kitchen

also, if you do get globals, forget the stone, get a leather strop block and some compound, learn to strop, it's easy and quick.

okay I'm down and will pull the trigger on this:

g-50-b-global-classic-chop-and-slice-chinese-knife-cleaver-heavyweight.webp

I hate your guts, Havax, I seriously do.
They say delivery in 2 days. Can't wait.

also, tell your wife that when she uses the global, she needs to immediately hand wash it and dry it thoroughly and then protect the blade with a blade guard before she puts it away or it's divorce for her gg

Therein lies the rub.

But Im being dramatic for flair.. I'll probably just buy it anyway. She's fairly disciplined if I embed it into her brain from the start - or it'll just be my knife. Maybe that's even better actually.

Back