Washing machines these days

Analogue dial Speed Queen

Yep. This is the correct answer, although in 2018 they removed the manual load size selector. Wonder if they reverted to the old design.

We have a GE standard washer and gas drier. Stupid easy to repair. Go easy on the softening chemicals, clean occasionally and they will last forever. Leave the washing machine lid open when you're not using it to avoid mold and mildew.

Actually, just fix the old one. It's built better than anything new guaranteed.

What? I have Samsung front loaders and I never have a mold problem and I never clean it. For the washing machine all you have to do is prop the door open with a folded towel and open the soap holder after cycle and it never molds or mildews or smells in the tub area. Never keep the door closed completely when you're not using it and it dries out completely quickly
I put a little piece of velco on the door and on the side of the unit to keep it open like 6-8 inches.

This was an annoying lesson we learned about front-loaders. They will grow mold and get disgusting if you don't do this.

What? I have Samsung front loaders and I never have a mold problem and I never clean it. For the washing machine all you have to do is prop the door open with a folded towel and open the soap holder after cycle and it never molds or mildews or smells in the tub area. Never keep the door closed completely when you're not using it and it dries out completely quickly

Front loaders never go mouldy!

If you do these three simple tricks - your doctor will hate them!

:srsly:

This is the GE I was talking about. $500 off the HD price at Costco.
IMG_2606.JPG

no problem there, you can also install a mini tablet so you can stream You Tube while you wash the drool towels

You know you've reached old age when you go online to look for and discuss 'Washing machines these days'

i have front loader samsungs. never had a mold issue, mostly because i leave the washer door open after its done. Usually when i wash its a 'wash day' so there is no real downtime from start to finish. Usually takes a few hours, but after last load just let it air out

Completely torn down.
Electrolux061922002.jpg

Tub and drum. I'm going to clean it up, buy a new bellow, hose, and put it back together. The bolt on the back pulley was loose. I think that's why the drum was rubbing against the tub. At least I got the answer as to what the problem was.
Electrolux061922001.jpg

Need something to do with your time? Take your washer machine apart and clean it. Now I can see why repair people won't take a machine completely apart. It takes hours and they would need to order a new bellow and hoses. Instead they tell the customer to buy a new machine. Taking the front off and cleaning the drain hose, yes, that can be done in an hour after watching a video on YouTube. But taking off the back and removing the entire drum is a complete tear down. Something I learned from watching the videos, if there are clips holding wires in place, put a socket on the clips to compress them, then they pop out without breaking.

Last edited:
All those mods, all the fans, and all the cleaning and drying in the world...and that thing is still mouldy as hell.
And you are a conscientious guy, yours is probably the best around.

Those things are disgusting and probably a health hazard.

Just buy a top loader and save the problems

Nice work but your housekeeping sucks. Tidy your tools up as you use them, don't leave aerosol tins lying on the ground and always put screws and bolts in trays.

Back