US Spaceflight for the future [update]

going to mars as part of a first expedition would be awesome, Apathy. You live on forever in history, and are one of the first people on a new planet, ever, in the history of mankind.

9942 Apophis (pronounced /əˈpɒfɪs/, previously known by its provisional designation 2004 MN4) is a near-Earth asteroid that caused a brief period of concern in December 2004 because initial observations indicated a small probability (up to 2.7%) that it would strike the Earth in 2029. Additional observations provided improved predictions that eliminated the possibility of an impact on Earth or the Moon in 2029. However, a possibility remains that during the 2029 close encounter with Earth, Apophis will pass through a gravitational keyhole, a precise region in space no more than about 600 meters across, that would set up a future impact on April 13, 2036. This possibility kept the asteroid at Level 1 on the Torino impact hazard scale until August 2006. It broke the record for the highest level on the Torino Scale, being, for only a short time, a level 4, before it was lowered.[5]

Additional observations of the trajectory of Apophis revealed the keyhole will likely be missed. On August 5, 2006 Apophis was lowered to a Level 0 on the Torino Scale. As of October 7, 2009, the impact probability for April 13, 2036, is calculated as 1 in 250,000.[6] An additional impact date in 2037 was also identified; the impact probability for that encounter is calculated as 1 in 12.3 million
i've read about this guy before

fuck, i wrote a song about this asteroid
changed the date for singing purposes to 2059

BBC News - Earth's true colours in Nasa's Blue Marble images
truest color photos of earth released to date

_47406474_nasaearth1_nasa_786.jpg

_47406475_nasaearth2_nasa_786.jpg

space x falcon9 is upright on the pad
will be test firing later
first demonstration launch in month or so

also apologies for not keeping up with thread
got busy as work

need to start reading more stuff

but also things take months to develop
:D
thanks for reading!

Last edited:
of course it was chopped

it was strung together using thousands of images from the Terra satilite that took photos over the course of a few months

but the colors werent altered

so NASA is trying to get work done, without having to pay engineers? Obama never said he was going to fund anything heavy lift at all.

I'm cheering for SpaceX. If we can get a private, crew-capable launch vehicle working by end of 2010, that would be amazing.

Hey goshin,

What type of things can amateur star gazers see? Say I get a decent telescope can I see much besides the moon and random stars? How do you track or find where planets are to see them?

Back