[lol Dubai] British grandad jailed in Dubai because he can't pay bill

I'll never understand why any reasonable person would want to live in Dubai. Even if most people don't get impacted by these stupid draconian laws - even the slight risk of being put in jail because of some paperwork mistake by my bank or something isn't worth it.

Their ordeal began after they packed their things to be shipped to Leeds. They were shocked to get a £5,000 quote but before they could cancel, the firm sent their goods.

this is probably the scariest part. I bet that company was bribed or some other shady shit to screw this old man over.

Last edited:
hey mitchdubai, do you have some kind of alert system in place to inform you of instances of the word "Dubai" on tribalwar? jw

-phalanxnewyork :D

that story does sound a bit sensationalist...

where knightmare sees a conspiracy where the shipping was a setup, I see the potential for retarded people who were told how much it was going to cost and didn't pay close enough attention until it was too late.

in that country, you go to debtors prison. in this country you get sued. that is a big difference. but there are probably some shitty loophole injustices that occur in this country that don't occur there.

what I don't understand is why TW suddenly gets a conscience when it comes to harsh punishments for certain crimes commited in Dubai by white people when other times everyone is willing to break out the torches and pitchforks when someone drives a car after having a beer or two (for example).

Yeah man people here always wanna bust out the pitchforks when some old dude doesn't go to prison for not paying a fucking storage fee... (??)

what I don't understand is why TW suddenly gets a conscience when it comes to harsh punishments for certain crimes commited in Dubai by white people when other times everyone is willing to break out the torches and pitchforks when someone drives a car after having a beer or two (for example).

a lot of the Americans on TW are xenophobic or just plain old racist :)

i think the Canadians are a bit more chilled and balanced, whereas the Aussies are about half and half....you've got like, Beren and MC Hamster who are quite liberal and tolerant, and Geck0 and probably some more who literally see black people as a lower species

Im Canadian and I think Dubai is a backwards place for white people to live. If shit hits the fan, which it will eventually, those people are gonna be the first to get fucked. And if they can put some old dude in prison for not paying a measly storage fee, and then extend his sentence because he couldn't pay rent while being locked up.... yikes...

Back