Anyone ever use a car inverter to power an Xbox 360?

Skeletor666

Merried Man
Veteran XX
So I have a portable DVD player and the right cables.

I also have a 500watt inverter for the car.

From what I just dug up it needs 175watts

However in the xbox manual it says

xbox said:
WARNING
As with many other electrical devices, failure to take the following precautions can result in serious
injury or death from electric shock or fire or damage to the Xbox 360 video game and
entertainment system.
Select an appropriate power source for your Xbox 360 console:
• Use only the power supply unit and AC power cord that came with your console or that you
received from an authorized repair center. If you are not sure if you have the correct power supply
unit, compare the model number on the power supply unit with the model number specified on your
console. If you need a replacement power supply unit or AC power cord, contact Xbox Customer
Support.
• Confirm that your electrical outlet provides the type of power indicated on the power supply unit
(in terms of voltage [V] and frequency [Hz]). If you are not sure of the type of power supplied to
your home, consult a qualified electrician.
• Do not use non-standard power sources, such as generators or inverters, even if the voltage and
frequency appear acceptable. Only use AC power provided by a standard wall outlet.

• Do not overload your wall outlet, extension cord, power strip, or other electrical receptacle.
Confirm that they are rated to handle the total current (in amps [A]) drawn by the Xbox 360
console (indicated on the power supply unit) and any other devices that are on the same circuit.
• Use a properly grounded electrical outlet that accommodates the three-prong grounding plug. Do
not remove the grounding prong. If the plug does not fit into your outlet, have an electrician replace
the obsolete outlet.

Anyone ever try this or have problems using an inverter to power an Xbox360?

honestly there's a good chance your 360 will die anyway so you might as well go for it

if you use the right inverter it wont be a problem. most power inverters are non sine-wave inverters and provide power on sort of an unstable frequency so it makes electronics go bad because of the effects of the odd frequencies on the power source of electronics made for home use. These effects may manifest quickly, but usually happen more over the course of long term use, just really depends on the heartiness of the electronic's power source and the stability of the inverter. If you spend a little money on a sine wave converter there shouldn't be any issue

If you have a TI graphic calculator you can run the power through that to get it into sine waves. So you'd have the inverter hooked up to the TI-89 hooked up to the xbox. Pretty simple, I've done it in my Civic.

Garfieldeyes.GIF

yeah, they are modified sine waves, but if the choice is sine, or non sine, modified sine will work and while it MAY give the electronics issues, more than likely having it in a car getting kicked around vibration, dirt, will kill that xbox way before the inverter will.

I've been reading about this too much, that rounded-edge square thing was a joke.

Sine wave -> Xbox, Laptop, Expensive electronic equipment.
Square wave -> Light bulbs, toasters, curling irons.

Back