Should tik-tok be banned?

Mericans must change their line of thinking and remember than when the US Federal, State, or local govt wants to do something to 'protect' you, you will be giving up a portion of what is left of our 'rights'.

It's a psychology / intelligence problem. They will always fall for the kool-aid that appeals to them.

The ban could be enforced via IP/dns

That's how China does it.

Youtube and Instagram aren't programs that the government of a foreign nation has direct access to. That means all user info, credit card info as tik-tok is now a business platform similar to shopify an mapping capabilities of interior areas of structures (yeah, thats a thing now).

Wont it be awesome when some millennial jackhole gov't contractor just needs to do a stupid new tik-tok dance from inside a sensitive area, videos it and uploads it to a platform the CCP has full access to? Or when some random soldiers decide that they have a little downtime, and they want to make a tik-tok covering their favorite reasons for joining and show their location. 8 years ago we were certain that russia was using disinformation via social media to influence the election, and they don't have unfettered access to any social media platform...but China does.

I wonder what kinds of neato 'extras' can be slipstreamed into the next update to the tik-tok platform

So your fear is that because Tik Tok is owned by a Chinese company, that the CCP is going to make them write code into the platform that can be used for all sorts of nefarious things.

There is a chance of that, I suppose, but couldn't we come to some kind of agreement where we have our own people looking at the software to make sure that doesn't happen? I dunno.

I do also know that this was never an issue for TW people until this weekend, when a presidential frontrunner said he thought Tik Tok and Facebook should be banned, as they present enemies to the people. This is the guy that once said "we are looking very strongly into faster speeds, maybe 6G or 7G."

As far as people in sensitive areas making videos, they can't do that NOW. Tik Tok is a mediumfor content, not actual content. Whatever people in whatever missile silos can't make dance videos in there using any platform. Banning a single platform isn't going to do anything.

Finally, let's break down the way Trump thinks, and why he would propose such a silly idea. He sees that more than ever, people are making parody videos, mocking and ridiculing him, and he also sees that one of the platforms people use to do this is Tik tok. Of COURSE his first impulse is to want it banned. He thinks 2-dimensionally, and banning a platform that he sees as a common denominator, is going to make perfect sense to him. Hurricane approaching Florida? We could drop a fusion bomb into the eye of it. Greenland is rich in minerals? Can't we just buy it? People using Tik Tok to mock me? Ban that shit. And so on.

I do also know that this was never an issue for TW people until this weekend, when a presidential frontrunner said he thought Tik Tok and Facebook should be banned, as they present enemies to the people. This is the guy that once said "we are looking very strongly into faster speeds, maybe 6G or 7G."

Your bias is showing. That is not what he said at all. He actually said tik-tok shouldn't be banned. But dont let that get in the way of your narrative.

That's how China does it.

So your fear is that because Tik Tok is owned by a Chinese company, that the CCP is going to make them write code into the platform that can be used for all sorts of nefarious things.

There is a chance of that, I suppose, but couldn't we come to some kind of agreement where we have our own people looking at the software to make sure that doesn't happen? I dunno.

As far as people in sensitive areas making videos, they can't do that NOW. Tik Tok is a mediumfor content, not actual content. Whatever people in whatever missile silos can't make dance videos in there using any platform. Banning a single platform isn't going to do anything.

Finally, let's break down the way Trump thinks, and why he would propose such a silly idea. He sees that more than ever, people are making parody videos, mocking and ridiculing him, and he also sees that one of the platforms people use to do this is Tik tok. Of COURSE his first impulse is to want it banned. He thinks 2-dimensionally, and banning a platform that he sees as a common denominator, is going to make perfect sense to him. Hurricane approaching Florida? We could drop a fusion bomb into the eye of it. Greenland is rich in minerals? Can't we just buy it? People using Tik Tok to mock me? Ban that shit. And so on.

lmao you're not paying attention

your guy biden wants it banned

trump is against banning it

pleb

Your bias is showing. That is not what he said at all. He actually said tik-tok shouldn't be banned. But dont let that get in the way of your narrative.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/trumps-tiktok-ban-reversal-after-meeting-megadonor-stake/story?id=108013785

Thanks for giving me the impetus to search, I never would have bothered before.

As Donald Trump reverses his position on potentially banning TikTok ahead of an expected House vote this week on legislation that could lead to it being blocked in the U.S., the former president has been rebuilding his relationship with a GOP megadonor who reportedly has a major financial stake in the popular social media platform.

Thanks TW!

Don't take the bait.

If censorship comes to USA, foreign services like this will be the only free places.

The number of parents who don't let their kids have phones or pads is skyrocketing quickly. Although tik tok is bad for all it's destroying left wing fertility the most.

I guess I was misinformed also. I thought they both supported regulating Tik Tok differently than other social media platforms.

cell phones in schools should be banned as well

i guess, but that's kind of easy to enforce. Drop your device when you come in to school, and we'll charge it for you, or something. And a student is either carrying a device, or they aren't. Those kinds of things are much easier to enforce than banning an entire medium.

If Trump is worried about stamping out him being mocked (and I suspect this is the case), banning Tik Tok is just going to make things worse for him. See Streisand Effect, The.

No
But I do think tiky-toky should be
demonized and ridiculed
into change or unfashionable

did you catch the racial slur?

It's the users making anti-Trump vids that you have a problem with, not the medium.

Did you know there's a tiky-toky version in the CCP that pushes completely different content to their children than the make-America-weak shit they push here? Demonize and humiliate

or buy it like musk did
and watch cael melt again

... and it's possible the uni-party is flipping for a ban,
because they fear the CCP is going to throw them under the rickshaw

Did you know there's a tiky-toky version in the CCP that pushes completely different content to their children than the make-America-weak shit they push here?

Did you know that the Trump organization planned and executed the Columbine massacre, and employed Harris and Klebold?

Not posting a link to any evidence, I'm just asking if you knew.

I know a girl in her 20's who lost her 5 year old son. Tragic.

She posts daily tiktok videos of "OMG MISS U SO MUCH!!!!!!!!" and "I AM NOTHING WITHOUT U BABY!!!!!!!"

Also Matt and Abby suck.

For those reasons alone, Tik Tok should be banned.

I will now take questions

Not posting a link to any evidence, I'm just asking if you knew.

aGX0bnBx_700w_0.jpg

Back