This day got expensive quick

JuggerNaught

Contributor
Veteran XX
So, i have 2 ac systems, one for the back of the house, one for the front of the house, also 2 thermostats Both are 30+ years old, 2ton in the front, 1.5 in the back.

The fan on the front one died today. no heat. I have been patching it together to keep it limping along for a while. One in the back is chugging along, and quite honestly im surprised its still hanging in there but also has been something i have been babying along for a while. Its a butchered together system. Both systems are 30+ years. I called a company that came out for a diagnostic. To get what i have now up and running again, a little over $900. Fan was cooked, capacitor blown. So i asked him about replacing the system

They are going to
replace lines
replace both ac units with (1) 4ton 15 seer unit
new hurricane pad/straps for the outside
tie ductwork together
replace ducts for increased volume
replace returns with new, larger returns
clean ducts
UV light system to kill algae/bacteria
new wifi thermostat
blow insulation in attic
upgrade power box
10 year warranty

everything up to code, they pull all permits

$14k
done in 1, possibly 2 days.

Ouch. We replaced our 20 year old unit this past summer, 4ton but only unit and basic install. 4k. Previous AC unit was a 1.5 ton. House was the model for the neighborhood, and they went cheap on it.

Yeah i figured i might as well just replace everything. The guy that did the work in this house shouldnt be allowed to have tools. Everything he did was half assed with sub par materials. So when i replace something larger, i like to do it all just to make sure i get the last guys retardation out of the house

We had our ducts replaced a few years ago along with a new unit. That added a chunk to the price.

LOL I know the feeling. Yeah if you plan on staying there for awhile might as well do it right and spend the cash. We are planning on downsizing this year so just doing the basics. House is 23 years old now so starting to fall apart a bit. All south facing windows replaced, new AC, new furnace blower motor, new pool pump and heater, new appliances, and new garage door opener. All of this in the last 5 years.

Once we get the house prepped for sale might spend some more to get it show ready, but thats about it. Next house will be cash only and around 1000sqf smaller. We don't need 5 bedrooms and rooms we never go into. Less to deal with. Looking forward to not having a mortgage! Time for toys and more vacations!

Last edited:
Yeah im trying to get the house straightene dup a bit. I plan on repainting the exterior in the next couple months, that should be relatively cheap. Right now im looking at lighting for the kitchen. CUrrently i have 3 flourescent light fixtures with some kind of 1980s wood covers on them. I like these 'recessed' lights i keep seeing that are LED, but they are really just a disc that clips into the ceiling dryway. i can get a packge for like 150 of 12 lights and they look fairly easy to install, so thats probably my next thing. also putting up new exterior motion detection lights, then the fence

My last house I replaced all the lights with new fixtures/LED bulbs. Loved the look and feel of the light. I have grown to hate fluorescent lights. Next one I will be swapping everything out as well.

Juggs blowing through that life insurance money :/

Every bit of that money was already planned to be put back in this house. I paid off my truck first to knock out a that monthly payment, then the rest is going into the house. I want the house in good shape so my son has a nice place to come home to.

I've heard heat pumps suck butthole in the cold, especially older ones. Do you only have one option for heat in that place? Sounds like you should get a backup even if its space heaters.

has worked just fine up to today. i've been thinking about getting one of those amish heaters, looks kinda cool

So, i have 2 ac systems, one for the back of the house, one for the front of the house, also 2 thermostats Both are 30+ years old, 2ton in the front, 1.5 in the back.

The fan on the front one died today. no heat. I have been patching it together to keep it limping along for a while. One in the back is chugging along, and quite honestly im surprised its still hanging in there but also has been something i have been babying along for a while. Its a butchered together system. Both systems are 30+ years. I called a company that came out for a diagnostic. To get what i have now up and running again, a little over $900. Fan was cooked, capacitor blown. So i asked him about replacing the system

They are going to
replace lines
replace both ac units with (1) 4ton 15 seer unit
new hurricane pad/straps for the outside
tie ductwork together
replace ducts for increased volume
replace returns with new, larger returns
clean ducts
UV light system to kill algae/bacteria
new wifi thermostat
blow insulation in attic
upgrade power box