War movies - 2 part question

JuggerNaught

Contributor
Veteran XX
What is the best WWII movie between Saving Private Ryan and Fury.

Also do other countries have movies like this? I know the UK is as full of themselves as the U.S. on things like this, so i would guess they have their versions of these kind of flag waving movies and i've seen one really good russian tank movie and a fairly decent german infantry movie thats on par with saving private ryan, but not the volume of movies like the U.S. has

What is the best WWII movie between Saving Private Ryan and Fury.

Also do other countries have movies like this? I know the UK is as full of themselves as the U.S. on things like this, so i would guess they have their versions of these kind of flag waving movies and i've seen one really good russian tank movie and a fairly decent german infantry movie thats on par with saving private ryan, but not the volume of movies like the U.S. has

Fury is way more accurate and tells a focused story. SPR is a journey about a mission. Both well done but between them I think Fury is a better movie.

Yes, other countries do this. I recently watched a pretty decent Russian movie on youtube about tankers.

T-34 - YouTube

chinas pumping out epic war films - specifically korean war - to pound the war drums against the US

meanwhile all of our movies still have the evil russian bad guy like we're still stuck in the 80s

chinas pumping out epic war films - specifically korean war - to pound the war drums against the US

meanwhile all of our movies still have the evil russian bad guy like we're still stuck in the 80s

you are right. The Russians are no longer bad guys. Unless you are Ukrainian.

Fury is very good. But if you can count mini series the Band of Brothers will always win.

Great escape is also awesome

It’s funny that when people think ww2 war movies it’s always Europe.

Plenty of good pacific theater movies to enjoy. Even the original movie midway is an excellent choice. The acting is just ok and the Japanese gf subplot was stupid, but it is a very accurate telling of events that turned the tide against the Japanese and put them on the defensive for the rest of the war.

Flags of our fathers and Letters From Iwo Jima are great movies too. Or Tora Tora Tora!.

It’s funny that when people think ww2 war movies it’s always Europe.

Plenty of good pacific theater movies to enjoy. Even the original movie midway is an excellent choice. The acting is just ok and the Japanese gf subplot was stupid, but it is a very accurate telling of events that turned the tide against the Japanese and put them on the defensive for the rest of the war.

Flags of our fathers and Letters From Iwo Jima are great movies too. Or Tora Tora Tora!.

It seems like all the really good pacific theater wwii movies came out in 50's and 60's
Tora Tora Tora
Midway
here to eternity
operation pacific
sands of iwo jima
the list goes on, lots of really good movies from back then, then they kind of died off it seems

It seems like all the really good pacific theater wwii movies came out in 50's and 60's
Tora Tora Tora
Midway
here to eternity
operation pacific
sands of iwo jima
the list goes on, lots of really good movies from back then, then they kind of died off it seems

From here to eternity isn’t really a war movie.

And Flags of our Fathers and Letters from Iwo Jima are awesome. So is Hacksaw Ridge.

But both Pearl Harbor and the new Midway sucked.

Why limit it to movies?

Band of Brothers is good. If you liked Fury (I have no idea why) you'll probably like 4 Tankers and a Dog.

I always liked movies like The Fighting Seabees as a kid. Haven't seen it in years. Will have to fix that.

Patton and The Great Escape are two of my favorites. I put them above Saving Private Ryan and Fury. Like those two as well, but the classics top it imo.

BoB is in a class all by itself. I watch that series once every year or two.

Fury was a fun action movie, if you switch off your brain and not think too much about the historical accuracy of any thing. "loosely inspired" is an apt description.

They did have an authentic "Tiger I" in it, and not a redressed M48 or T34 as other Hollywood movies like Saving Private Ryan used.

Fury was a decent movie and the principle actors put in good performances, but so many scenes are just pure Hollywood that is was unintentionally laughable as a historical film at times.

"Das Boot" is a classic.

i had put off watching fury for quite a bit thinking it was a dumb movie about dudes driving around in a tank, but it's really f'ing good.

also, das boot (director's cut, and with subtitles not the dubbed shit) is fucking amazing.

Fury was a fun action movie, if you switch off your brain and not think too much about the historical accuracy of any thing. "loosely inspired" is an apt description.

They did have an authentic "Tiger I" in it, and not a redressed M48 or T34 as other Hollywood movies like Saving Private Ryan used.

Fury was a decent movie and the principle actors put in good performances, but so many scenes are just pure Hollywood that is was unintentionally laughable as a historical film at times.

"Das Boot" is a classic.

Fury was ok, but the story was well worn and predictable. The young blonde with the big titties was the best part.

Back