[Plastic Bag Ban] Gaining support in California

i'm not sure if its over the whole province, or just the Greater Toronto Area

and the 5c isn't a tax, the retailer keeps it

i personally have 0 problem with it - i live in an apartment and i need plastic bags to toss things down the chute (paper rips) so i ask for them all the time and pay gladly.

i like that its made to discourage plastic, but still gives everyone their choice

im against using plastic myself so i like that idea... i have no problem with a store charging 5 cents to discourage people but when the state is telling me what i can and can not do with matters that dont concern them it bothers me.

so yea i could be all for that situation.

lets not forget that jsut several years ago California government was giving people incentives to buy cars that are "gas guzzlers" so this whole save the environment bullshit they claim dont fly with me.

Last edited:
20 cents a bag works for me. you want them, fine, but u gotta pay.

I don't need to pay extra for groceries cause you're too fucking cheap and lazy to bring bags so the store has to buy them and raise prices.

of course, if the trillion disposable plastic grocery bags a year aren't used anymore, I'm guessing the oil that was previously used for them wouldn't exactly raise the price of gas for me either.

and if even 1 percent of the trillion bags ends up as litter (they say around 3 percent will) that's a fuckload of trash that doesn't need to exist.

so yes, your stupidity affects others as well, everything is not just about you.

I don't need to pay extra for groceries cause you're too fucking cheap and lazy to bring bags so the store has to buy them and raise prices.

of course, if the trillion disposable plastic grocery bags a year aren't used anymore, I'm guessing the oil that was previously used for them wouldn't exactly raise the price of gas for me either.

and if even 1 percent of the trillion bags ends up as litter (they say around 3 percent will) that's a fuckload of trash that doesn't need to exist.

so yes, your stupidity affects others as well, everything is not just about you.

the store does not have to buy them and raise prices. costco and places like food 4 less have not used them for 15 + years now and they are doing just fine as a business.

im against using plastic myself so i like that idea... i have no problem with a store charging 5 cents to discourage people but when the state is telling me what i can and can not do with matters that dont concern them it bothers me.

so yea i could be all for that situation.

lets not forget that jsut several years ago California government was giving people incentives to buy cars that are "gas guzzlers" so this whole save the environment bullshit they claim dont fly with me.

Its fine, but because the government 'forces' retailers to charge 5c for a bag, sometimes it can be a hassle.

Like, i bought something once with Interac because i forgot to grab money as I left my house. After the transaction was done i realized that i needed a bag, but the guy insists that i must pay the 5c or the 'government will come after him'. So i have to put a 2nd Interac transaction through for 5c, plus $1.50 Interac fee.

So i payed $1.55 for that plastic bag.

Now, I don't see that situation arising again, but it was still annoying.

Oh, debit card fee? Depending on the place they charge for debit transactions or whatever, but it's not every where.

Oh, debit card fee? Depending on the place they charge for debit transactions or whatever, but it's not every where.

Yeah debit card fee, that's the phrase i was looking for but for some reason couldn't find. Thanks.

its actually not the 'interac' fee that gets you here, thats almost always free, but yeah its a merchant surcharge they add on for using debit that's up to $1.50, and same thing, it varies from store to store.

Maybe a hole-in-the-wall store charges a fee but I don't see it much at all anymore. ATM fees are another story but I don't have to pay attention to those either since my bank reimburses me.

Oh and fuck plastic grocery bags. What a fucking waste.

plastic bags dont cost the state a damm thing so its none of their concern... if a grocery store decides to not do plastic bags that is their decision and im 100% fine with it... like costco.

apparently it costs them 25mil/year

fuck, there goes another market. tell me this though - what will people pick up their dog's crap with?!?!

hand.jpg

It's cute you think you would pay less if it weren't for plastic bags

apparently it costs them 25mil/year

but not really

Last edited:
but not really

"Californians use 19 billion plastic bags a year, and the state spends more than $25 million annually to collect and bury the items, Brownley said. Environmental groups said only 5 percent of the bags are recycled, a figure the plastics industry disputes. "

"Californians use 19 billion plastic bags a year, and the state spends more than $25 million annually to collect and bury the items, Brownley said. Environmental groups said only 5 percent of the bags are recycled, a figure the plastics industry disputes. "

I am curious how they came up with $25 million

I have never seen a local official on plastic bag duty nor have i made a dump run and noticed the over payed plastic bag team out on the field dealing with the bag crisis. I imagine, since plastic bags are one of the most common items in our trash (since we got pretty much every retail product in them) that they take some percentage of trash collection and claim that cost is for plastic bags.

The truth of the matter is a truck would have to come to my local dumpster just as often with or without plastic bags and it may have a slight fiscal benefit but nothing as major as what is claimed.

ya man, cuz if you dont see it, it doesnt happen.

and i expected you to say "whered the 25 mil figure come from" over what you'd consider a "liberal issue". though im sure if glenn beck told you obama raped 2519 kittens you wouldnt even think to ask

the truth of the matter is you dont know the truth so stop making assumptions

and im not saying these figures may or may not be exaggerations. but its definitely not 0.

Last edited:
yea that is bullshit. the state dont pay for my trash I pay edco to take my trash. i also pay if i go to the dump.

ya man, cuz if you dont see it, it doesnt happen.

and i expected you to say "whered the 25 mil figure come from" over what you'd consider a "liberal issue". though im sure if glenn beck told you obama raped 2519 kittens you wouldnt even think to ask

the truth of the matter is you dont know the truth so stop making assumptions

I dont think its partisan at all

I do know that the state doesn't do anything to service my plastic bag use that warrants a $25 million invoice.

Back