[Official] NHL Offseason/Hotstove Thread

Most people have been saying that the LA Kings are far ahead of anyone else in terms of a package for Heatley. He's exactly the kind of player they need, and they have the assets to get him, so my money would be on him going there. I know Hextall said they weren't that interested, citing 'red flags' about his character but it smells of posturing to me.

Oilers would probably be plan B, but San Jose has some interesting stuff to offer too provided they juggle the salaries effectively.

I don't think he'd waive the NMC to go to LA. They haven't been in in the playoffs for 6 seasons. I think he'd rather go to a team that's a regular postseason team or a team that's been on the border for some time.

I don't think he'd waive the NMC to go to LA. They haven't been in in the playoffs for 6 seasons. I think he'd rather go to a team that's a regular postseason team or a team that's been on the border for some time.
he either waives it or he's stuck in ottawa soon

he either waives it or he's stuck in ottawa soon

He gave Murray a list of teams he wants to go to. There's probably 6 teams on that list and reports are SJ, Calgary, and Edmonton are on that list. He will only waive it to go to a specific team. He has the final say on which team he'll go to that has an offer that Murray is willing to accept.

but he doesnt have to waive it to LA specifically though
usually they have to give a list of 5 teams theyd go to
he doesn't "have to" do anything.

he asked for a trade, and has a no trade clause. so while he can stop any trade to any team he doesn't want, he stays in ottawa if they dont deal him.

he has given a list but murray has already said he isn't sticking to it, he wants the best deal

He gave Murray a list of teams he wants to go to. There's probably 6 teams on that list and reports are SJ, Calgary, and Edmonton are on that list. He will only waive it to go to a specific team. He has the final say on which team he'll go to that has an offer that Murray is willing to accept.
right and Murray is threatening to not trade him after they fork out $4M on him on the 1st.

i mean it's all just posturing and shit but he doesn't have to trade him...

murray will trade him

its bad for the team to keep him around
as much as i wanted lowe to play hardball with pronger who also publically leaked a trade demand, it would be very bad for the locker room and your ability to attract free agents

Was referring to this double F (fat fuck).

Love his shows though.
Ahhh. So some other fat fuck.

right and Murray is threatening to not trade him after they fork out $4M on him on the 1st.

i mean it's all just posturing and shit but he doesn't have to trade him...
It's true, he doesn't have to trade him but it will be a shitty dressing room atmosphere and won't have any success with that environment.

Hossa and Gaborik won't be coming. We have enough right wingers and don't want to spend a lot for a second line right winger.

Jaybo is also not coming here unless Edmonton can unload Staios, Gilbert and potentially Nilsson. Jagr is also stuck in Russia for another year. His out clause was if the team didn't make the playoffs but they squeeked in.

It's generally hard for Edmonton to attract high end free agents here. Getting Heatley here while him waiving his NMC would be a great thing. Although Edmoton would have to be sending comparable cap hit back.

Edmonton can't afford to go after so many people since they still have to resign some players like Grebeshkov, Smid, Brodziak and take a shot at keeping Kotalik. Then there's the gaping hole in net.

according to oilers fans they are getting hossa, heatley, gaborik, and jaybo

and jagr too

awesome

jagr was also cited saying he would come back to play with the pens with the minimum salary cap in the nhl b/c of what he owed lemieux for his career..:lol:

i hope edmonton/flames do well in the offseason, only two teams i really follow in the west..thank god ryan fucking whitney is off the pens (my scapegoat)

The LA Kings are on the back end of a rebuild and are looking to improve very quickly. A lot of it starts with getting a high end offensive dynamo to round off their top line. They could take a run at Hossa, and possibly Gaborik or Havlat but the last of those mentioned come along with some injury concerns. They have a lot of good pieces, and if they made a trade for a star player and improved by spending to the cap and picking up guys in free agency, then they could be a playoff team easily.

Additionally, if he was requesting a trade it wouldn't be because he wants to go to a contender. Teams like Chicago, Detroit, and Pittsburgh do not have the kind of flexibility, nor the motivation to shakeup their core players to accommodate Heatley. Doesn't mean that he's willing to play with the Islanders, Lightning and Thrashers of the NHL, but fringe teams and teams that are poised to get better within the next one or two years are not out of the question.

It's also been listed in several articles that LA is on Heatley's list of preferred locations.

espn insider rumor mill for the day:

Tuesday, June 23

Heatley's destination wish list
Dany Heatley | Senators | Interested: Rangers? Kings? Oilers? Blackhawks? Sharks? Canucks? Wild? Blues?
Dany Heatley's list: the Kings, Rangers, Sharks, Red Wings, Blackhawks, Canucks and Bruins.
This is according to a Toronto Sun source, but the Wings and Bruins may not have the money. The other teams have inquired about the 28-year-old. However, Heatley may have to compromise, the Ottawa Citizen reports, because teams may not want to take on his contract, which goes for five more years at $7.5 million.
Also, the Sun's sources say the Blues, Wild, Oilers and Avalanche have also inquired about Heatley.
Heatley requested a trade two weeks ago, but Senators GM Bryan Murray told TSN that he expect trade talks to continue into the weekend.
MORE HEATLEY
Senators GM unhappy with Heatley's people (Calgary Herald)
Is it possible Heatley returns to Atlanta? (AJC)
Heatley still a "hot ticket" (The Citizen)
Heatley is out of shape (HockeyBuzz.com)
Senators | With Heatley gone, what holes will the Sens have? PLUGGING HOLES

Sundin still has gas left in the tank?
Mats Sundin | Canucks
Mats Sundin confirmed he wasn't playing in the 2010 Vancouver Olympics, but he may be back in Vancouver anyway.
The unrestricted free agent told a Swedish newspaper (via The Province) that he wants to return to the Canucks.
However, at the end of last season, the 38-year-old sounded more like a man reminiscing at the end of a career than a man ready to play another season, when he said, "You realize at the end of your career -- you kind of know you're at the end."

Wild backup to be traded?
Josh Harding | Wild
It's well known that Wild GM Chuck Fletcher is ready to deal in the next week, and it looks like one player he's going to dangle out there is backup goalie Josh Harding.
Harding said he wants to be a No. 1 goalie, but he's stuck behind Niklas Backstrom. And Fletcher admitted that Harding's opportunity is blocked in Minnesota -- and he knows he has an asset to bargain with.
Fletcher told the Strib, "Certainly that's a situation we probably need to evaluate over the next little while and see if we can do something that makes sense for everybody."
Reading between the lines, it seems Fletcher will make a deal if he gets enough in return.

Habs blockbuster in the works?
Canadiens GM Bob Gainey isn't talking with any free agents yet because he said there could be a blockbuster trade over the weekend.
He's had some "preliminary discussions" with his free agents, but he told the Montreal Gazette that, "We're not going to make any moves until after the draft."

Seidenberg leaving Carolina?
Dennis Seidenberg | Hurricanes
It was a slip of the tongue.
Hurricanes GM Jim Rutherford was talking about his defensemen with the News and Observer when he said, "With Seidenberg not coming back..."
Whoops -- it wasn't definite yet but, apparently, unrestricted free agent Dennis Seidenberg is leaving via free agency. Rutherford admitted that a contract with the defenseman seems unlikely.
Seidenberg was third of the team in average ice time (22:19) and recorded career highs in games (70), goals (5) and assists (25) this season.

Winter Classic sans Caps?
The Capitals were long rumored to be the visiting team for the Winter Classic, which is in Boston's Fenway Park this season.
But Caps GM George McPhee hasn't heard anything from the league -- no whispers or hints. So, as he told the Washington Times, the Caps are probably not going to play the Bruins on Jan. 1.

SOON MY PRETTIES

calgaryflames.com said:
Calgary Flames general manager Darryl Sutter will announce the Flames coaching staff today at 3 p.m. MT. You can watch the news conference LIVE right here at calgaryflames.com. ...more

i agree, but he doesn't have to be in the dressing room, either.

No team would bench a $7.5 million dollar player for the duration of his contract. If they do dress him, he'd be a really expensive Avery sitting all by himself at the end of the bench getting an occasional shift.

Back