Get a new brain, morons!

Goshin

GriftKing
Veteran XX
BBC News - First trial of embryonic stem cells in humans

US doctors have begun the first official trial of using human embryonic stem cells in patients after getting the green light from regulators.

The Food and Drug Administration has given a license to Geron to use the controversial cells to treat people with spinal injuries.

In the trial, patients who have sustained such an injury within the last 14 days will be given the experimental stem cell treatment.

Geron president Dr Thomas Okarma said: "When we started working with human embryonic stem cells in 1999, many predicted that it would be a number of decades before a cell therapy would be approved for human clinical trials.

"This accomplishment results from extensive research and development and a succession of inventive steps."

But it will take some time to get the results.

And there are many years of rigorous testing ahead before it can be known if the therapy is safe and effective.

Professor Chris Mason, an expert in regenerative medicine at University College London, said UK researchers hope to follow suit and begin trials next year with a stem cell treatment for age-related macular degeneration - a leading cause of blindness.

so really it's a spinal chord, but someday...brains!

on a personal level, my dad has macular degeneration and i'm at risk of it in my early 30s, so go go stem cell treatment!

Three ear doctors I went to don't know, one night I can hear, next morning it's like everyone is whispering. I can hear if people speak up, but it makes social interaction a little difficult.

Three ear doctors I went to don't know, one night I can hear, next morning it's like everyone is whispering. I can hear if people speak up, but it makes social interaction a little difficult.
So they didn't give you a medical reason for you not being able to hear (like ear drum damage or whatever)?

I had a friend who was having pain in one of his ears, went to the doctor, they said he was fine and gave him some meds for pain, went to sleep that night hearing fine, and woke up the next morning deaf in that ear with excruciating pain. :shock:

Turns out some kind of insect (Millipede I think) had crawled into his ear and ate through his ear drum (how the hell do you not see a giant thing in a guy's ear when you examine him?). :scared:

Last edited:
Well one them thought it might've been caused by an illness I had when I was 5 (22 now). Don't remember the illness (some kind of itus), aside from killing my hearing in left ear and having to relearn how to walk and all that stuff. Eardrum appears fine, Ear was clean.

Wasn't any pain, though next day and for months on end there was a lot of ringing of the ear, and I became more sensitive to pressure (row up/down windows, my ears would pop, ac come on, my ears would pop, which might be normal but not somthing I experienced in the past). My local doctor and three different ear doctor couldn't come up with a real explanation.

Oh I also discovered this weekend that I can't hear vibration (if that is right way to put it) in my right ear (the one that recently lost hearing), though I can in my left ear, which is shot. Like from bass and loud noises.

But enough of that :)

BBC News - First trial of embryonic stem cells in humans

so really it's a spinal chord, but someday...brains!

on a personal level, my dad has macular degeneration and i'm at risk of it in my early 30s, so go go stem cell treatment!

my grandmother on my mom's side has macular degeneration bad...essentially blind now. my mom has the onset of it. i dont know if im at risk but i sure as fuck hope they find a fix before i get old (which im pretty sure they will)

gPVJw.jpg

Back