Lvl 70 3.0 specs?

JustinCase

Contributor
Veteran XX
There's a lot of talk everywhere about the lvl 80 talent builds for pvp/pve but what are you guys gonna do for the month in between?

Mages:

Torn between a few pve specs:

Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft

is what I'm leaning towards, I'm wondering if it would be better to go 3/3 spell impact and only 2/5 burnout. Clearcasting is almost necessary again with all the mana problems fire mages have. Dropping elemental precision sucks since I don't really have the hit gear to make up for it

I think pvp will still be deep frost, the deep freeze nerf hurts and makes it the only 51 point talent that has zero use in pve

Wow, the new Imp Scorch looks pretty cool. +10% spell crit for everyone in the raid? I'm reading that correctly, yeah?

Also, I have a couple questions:

1. Is Focus Magic definitely better in a raid setting than Living Bomb? It seems like Living Bomb would be pretty situational.

2. Have you read any number crunching on 3/3 Spell Impact + 2/5 Burnout vs. 5/5 Burnout? Basically it's +6% damage vs. +30% critical bonus damage (if you disregard the mana penalty). It seems like 5/5 Burnout might win, especially with really high crit rates, but this is just my speculation without math.

Last edited:
Also, I have a couple questions:

1. Is Focus Magic definitely better in a raid setting than Living Bomb? It seems like Living Bomb would be pretty situational.

2. Have you read any number crunching on 3/3 Spell Impact + 2/5 Burnout vs. 5/5 Burnout? Basically it's +6% damage vs. +30% critical bonus damage (if you disregard the mana penalty). It seems like 5/5 Burnout might win, especially with really high crit rates, but this is just my speculation without math.

Living bomb costs about 900 mana currently and is a pretty short dot, it also is bugged and only allows one mage to put it up, focus magic seems like a clear winner since it buffs your damage and someone else's (you can even cast it on your water elemental if you're frost)

burnout/spell impact all comes down to how bad mana problems are, I haven't read much into it but I think after a few raids I should get a feel for which is greater.

Does anyone know how useful tailoring will be in WotLK? I'm trying to decide what to drop for Inscription.
Cloak tailoring enchant is basically the same as the hmgt trinket that has a random chance to inflict dmg. Add to that BoP armor that may or may not be great (I haven't seen any yet). I'm going tailoring over Inscription for the cloak enchant, I know I'll get the rep required to get shoulder enchants so that's not a big deal and the enchant is free DPS since Subtlety will no longer be required thanks to insane aggro produced by tanking classes.

I remember reading a blue post saying that FSW was way too powerful and tailoring won't be as OP as it was for casters in the xpack

Back