[PC Issues]Random crashes

28K Modem

Contributor
Veteran X
Over the past week or two my PC has crashed at least 5 times. It has crashed while running a game, idiling overnight, booting to Windows, and opening Itunes. I have had very few problems with my PC over the 3-4 years I have had it.

Once, right before it froze, I heard 2 clicks from the front of the PC. I was thinking Hard Drive failure but I have run the Western Digital Diagnostics on the drives and both came out fine. Could I not have enough power or is my PSU dying? Are one of my HDs failing?

Specs:
AMD 2500+XP OC'd to 2800+
ATI Radeon 9600 Pro
1 GB RAM
80GB WD HDD
120GB WD HDD
Antec SmartBlue 350W PSU

The oc could have hurt it in the long run. Underclock and see if its stable for the next week.

Could also be a stick of ram going bad due to the OC (happened to me)

make sure all your fans are running in the case. If you heard clicks, then it could have been a fan dying. This could be causing the system to overheat. Also it could be a failing PSU, or HD.

didn't read the post

test in this order:

heat
RAM
PSU
everything else

edit: ok it's not heat, do memtest and if that says RAM is ok then unpower optical/as many harddrives as possible/etc

1) what mobo?

2) judging by the clicks, it could be the cpu or nb fan dying and causing overheat

UPDATE:Restarts disappeared over the past 2-3 weeks BUT

Our internet went out a couple days ago so I called my ISP's Tech Support. I knew it was a problem on their end but this Indian chick took me through a bunch of steps to verify it was their problem. One of those steps happened to be uninstalling my network card, which is onboard(Mobo Nvidia Nforce).

Right after I uninstalled and reinstalled, everything went to shit. Restarts back to back to back. Currently, It won't even load XP. Keep in mind that 2-3 weeks ago, the restart problem disappeared. Now, its worse than ever. I am not overclocking anymore and its still not stable.

Also, when booting through BIOS, I notice that my Main Processor is listed as Amd 1100+ NOT Amd 2500+. I have tried both optimal and fail-safe defaults with no success at all. Please help me :cry:

power supply

I'm not expert but if there's not enough juice wouldn't a bios switch your processor to a lower clock speed?

I usually use such behavior as an excuse to go buy a new MB/proc/RAM setup. Works almost every time. And if the behavior continues, you have an excuse to replace even more components. Win-win!

I usually use such behavior as an excuse to go buy a new MB/proc/RAM setup. Works almost every time. And if the behavior continues, you have an excuse to replace even more components. Win-win!
If I had the money I would do so. Forgot to mention that the VDD in bios is red on startup. Could that be related to a bum PSU?

Back