Is the Crappler Ruining T:V?

JongyFong

Veteran X
Am I alone in thinking the Crappler (grappler) is the most annoying weapon and aspect of T:V? Its worse than turtling, vehicle camping, and pod-spamming combined. Why take out vehicle-capping and then put in a weapon like the Grappler? It absoloutely ruins maps like Junk and others. I am by no means a master of the Grappler, but I've witnessed a few individuals completely own with that thing. Its incredibly frustrating defending a flag and joining your whole team in trying to gun down a capper who's doing loop-d-loops around your stand. I know all the BS "a capper won't even touch a well defended flag bla bla" but I Pub, and I've seen players on 5150 and OUF servers dominate even the best opposition with the grappler because it can be exploited beyond belief. Most of the time the only weapon that stands a chance against even a novice grappler is the Sniper Rifle, and with it's shatty range you're lucky to get 1 halfway decent shot before the capper is catapulted across the map. I think its a very interesting addition, but its been my experience that matches are much more enjoyable when the Grappler is kept away and not used by either team. I don't know what can be done but something needs major tweaking.

it might be more balanced if you could shoot the latched on hook to send the grappel user flying off

yes you are alone, the grappler adds a whole new aspect and take on the game, it changes from the defensive type games of previous tribes titles and gives power to the offense. Now defense is much harder and feels like more of a team effort to do it correctly. I think the Grappler in competition really tests you teams ability to help each other out and communicate as I am sure you have noticed one person will really struggle to take the grappler down

BrightEyes said:
No, there are too many factors to list that simply ruin T:V. To single out the grappler, that's just silly...

all i see is you complain... what is wrong with T:V exaclty oh great one?

k back to pitching my idea.

remove energy blade and give all armors even spawn 3 yes only 3 grapple shots. but you can scavenge them off dead bodies. This would stop grapple turtling. help spawn capping since we spawn in medium now. and give armors an extra weapon slot and still ahve enough shots to do some insane routes but makes each grapple shot count. if you miss with the grapple too bad you wasted your shot. Im a capper not ld and 3 is still plenty to pull of all of my routes on each map except maybe cavern but 3 would be fine better then monkey swinging stupidness.

are you one of those people who say to grapple after them? rofl. me going 275 and changing directions wherever I want vs U guessing my directiona nd starting from zero. grapple chasing does not help. one route can turn into 5 exits with grapple gl chasing

iceman21_23 said:
there is ur problem right there once u are able to use it as well as the capper then stopping them is not hard.

I will admit that i'm also finding the grappler to be a bit annoying. I'm also in the same situation, playing defense on pubs and occasionally encountering grapple-monkeys who make it really frustrating to return the flag. Its just frustrating because you'll be skiing in one direction to intercept, and maybe get one or two shots off with either the disk or a minor amount of damage with the cg, and then he's off again in a completely different direction, and it's hard to curb your route through skiing alone.

I will admit that i will probably be less frustrated once my aim with the cg improves. But until then, it can be irritating, yes.

Its not only about changing directions. The grappler changes the somewhat straight line travel of Tribes into large arching motions which are nearly impossible to lead, not to mention as they are arching they're also accelorating. Don't say "get skills" or "use team D" because there's almost nothing that can be done to hault a well executed grappler route. If you get into a game with one of these players you'll know what I'm talking about. Your only hope is to somehow prevent the grab which is only occasionaly succesful, but once the flag is stolen and hes on his way slingshotting across the map its over. Go to Junk and practice looping around the beam that holds the pipe with the flag. Once you get the feel for it you'll be an unhittable speeding target (excluding the Sniper Rifle even though its still a very tough sniper shot and you'de have to be doing the same motion multiple times for someone to line you up).

Last edited:
i have been saying the grapple is not balanced for a long time now... and they probably wont make any changes to it.

I have yet to play in a competition situation, and only played in a few organized pick-ups. Yet, from a pubbing stand point... When someone starts getting grapple happy with the flag...the fun factor goes plummetting. Same situation in T2 where turtling just hurt pubs. Now in T:V turtling isn't too big of a deal due to different balances of O and D, so the whole "no-turtling" rules seems a bit dated. For some reason I wouldn't be suprised to see a "no-grapple-camping" rule in the future for pubs or some weird mutator that reduces your grapple ammo significantly.

These suggestions of course are efforts to keep the pub action going and keeping stalemates to a mininum, because honestly...there is very little teamwork to begin with so anything that keeps the flag moving is a good thing imo.

Just my 2-cents.

JongyFong said:
Am I alone in thinking the Crappler (grappler) is the most annoying weapon and aspect of T:V? Its worse than turtling, vehicle camping, and pod-spamming combined.
I agree. Although none of those things bother me. Your spelling does. I hate you.

I think the grappler's an awesome tool, but yeah, it's a bit broken. A good grappler is untouchable, and grappler-turtling is a bajillion times worse than regular turtling. I like both the less ammo and unlatch by shooting ideas.

I only play pubs, but....

I absolutely hate the effing grappler. Enables cappers to boost off at fast speeds that even an energy pack boost doesn't match. Even if chasers get close, another swing and the capper's gone. I'm not very good at MAing and my FPS is too low to use sniper and chain effectively.

I never was very good at any first person, but I'm sure as hell better than a newbie. Sure grappler may make capping easier but what about the chaser?

BTW, I like the 3 shot dead body idea. Either that or make grappler energy based (and maybe ammo, too, like the sniper) so that ever swing will have to be careful or it would waste energy.

Those that were good in skiing in the first months it was discovered dominated T1.
Those that were good in vehicles dominated T2 all the time.
Those that are good with the grappler will dominate T:V until others get good with it too.

But shooting the hook should imho still be possible.

"yes you are alone" No yuor not.. I personally hate the grappler. People sit and swing on it in circles on maps and its outright annoying. *tosses my 2 cents in*

Back