[POLL] Worst Tribes Game launch.

John Rambo

Veteran X
1) Starsiege:Tribes
Didn't had any major bugs or performance issues when it got released if I remember correctly.

or

2) Tribes2
Rushed release with many bugs and poor performance even on highend pcs.

or

3) Tribes:Vengeance
Unpolished release with many cheats/hacks available (aimbot) and crap netcode. Also poor marketing means low player base.

Don't put POLL in the name if you can't post a poll.

In reply, however, I would say T:V.

T2 had tons of problems, but at least there was a bunch of people playing it. T2 had a bad Post-Launch after people realized how bad Base sucked and how fun UE's were. (Oh, not to mention they actually had marketing for this game).

T:V they dropped the ball on marketing and VUG made it a cheap investment because they never really believed in it in the first place. They rushed out an unfinished product and have failed to support it so far.

edit: and you can't hate on the T1 launch because they just put it on the shelves and it sold by word of mouth.

Jesus Christ, T2, no contest. The initial release was basically unplayable by most of the people who had it, patches were shot out every week, few of which actually adressed the major problems. I can't believe how many people seem to have forgotten how horrible (HORRIBLE) T2 was for the first few months it was out. The game was a lot of fun, don't get me wrong, but it was just very, very shoddily put together.
T:V hasn't been so bad. They have little control over aimbots, and the problems that do exist, for the most part, aren't game-breakingly bad.

John Rambo

Worst release by far:

• Rushed release date. Even start of project was accidental.
  • Very cheap and some called it messy packaging.
  • Developers have given up on fixing many of the bugs.
  • Developers will not return phone calls or eMail address unknown.
  • Community still trys to use, but user base is mostly whiney chimps.

To the parent's of Mr. John Rambo, please come claim your son!:p

T:V would be my choice. They didn't really promote it enough.

Last edited:
MagicFire said:
John Rambo
  • Developers have given up on fixing many of the bugs.
  • Developers will not return phone calls or eMail address unknown(?engrish pwees)

Um the dev team has said that they are fixing bugs and are working on a patch that is to be anounced. Now wether or not you want to believe them is up to you. Just stop saying they quit, when they are saying they haven't.

T2. I remember one patch wouldn't let anyone online at all. Six months of patches that still couldn't stop the UEs.

Tribes2 had an excellent launch. Think about it. I buy five copies of the game on Day One. I call for some tech support regarding creating an account on one of the CDs and was told by customer support "too bad".

Ten minutes after my rant, a dev calls me to apologize and be patient.

Now, whats wrong with a release like that? o_O

Tribes Vengeance is not getting the love it deserves. VU is not pushing this product and if not for this website, no one would know.

Tribes 1 had such little hype that the big brother release of Starseige was supposed to be the big winner for Sierra.

Oops. =)

You can really see here how few people played T2 on the first day.

Has everyone already forgotten the issues with the master server and player registration on the 1st day of T2? The game was 100% unplayable on the first day. Many people couln't even install the game without crashing. The first 4 patches broke more things than they fixed.

T2 definitely wins. We're lucky TV was made at all, so just be patient and wait for it to be fixed. It is so much better than T2 was at release. For all you T2 fanboys, sure, it was a great game after it was fixed, but the release was by far worse than TV.

ICE9 said:

Has everyone already forgotten the issues with the master server and player registration on the 1st day of T2? The game was 100% unplayable on the first day. Many people couln't even install the game without crashing. The first 4 patches broke more things than they fixed.

T2 definitely wins. We're lucky TV was made at all, so just be patient and wait for it to be fixed. It is so much better than T2 was at release. For all you T2 fanboys, sure, it was a great game after it was fixed, but the release was by far worse than TV.

I got my copy of T2 early, I do remember like the 3rd or 4th day I had it the master servers were overcrowded with *gasp* people wanting to play the game.. But it was only for a day or so.

LostAngel said:
I actually never had a single problem with T2 :shrug:

So I'd have to say T:V

T2 ran pretty much fine with me as well, I only had a few UEs that I can remember. Had tons of players, and even expanded the Tribes community with more teams, more players, and help create better competition based leagues/ladders.

T1 ran like a champ. Spread like wild fire. Was an innovation to all multiplayer games to follow in.

Both T1/T2 had (have) more players at launch and continued to gain more players through it's high points.

T:V has hardly any players playing (both retail and free demo). Net code is by far the worst of the 3. No real commitment to a competition aspect of the game has killed competition ladder devoted to it's release. Use of an older pre-fad engine has opened the flood gates for known cheats. Made by a DEV team that is renown for their single-players games instead of a multiplayer team. Managed by a person whose fame includes a 3 month fad MOD for both T1/T2.

I'd have to go with T:V as worst release for a multiplayer game. Sure the game it self is more stable and playable than T2, but the lack of commitment to it's success and slap in the face attitude is too much to bare. Also with it's lack of support from continued communication for the DEVs is a failing. Lack of any patch (weather fixing little bugs or not). Lack of a real marketing strategy. Pretty much what I've said all along.....

ICE9 said:

First day I played T2 (may 29th 2001) the log-in server was over worked due to too many players in game ... T:V would never reach that goal at it's current state.

LostAngel said:
I actually never had a single problem with T2 :shrug:

So I'd have to say T:V

I had no problems with T2 until maybe 2-3 years in when I started getting UEs with one of the patches. Even then it was pretty rare.

i had no problem with T2, or T:V really, its more of other people/servers around me and judging from that, T2 was still shazbottier by far.

T:V has to win, it's a failure compared to T2. Even with so many people returning T2 that first week they still managed to have 5k online.

T:V by far.

The biggest problem is it's not even a Tribes game, other than that it's horrible balance horrible gameplay and consistent bugs and crashes.

Horrible game that doesn't even deserve bargain bin success.

VirDT said:
T:V has to win, it's a failure compared to T2. Even with so many people returning T2 that first week they still managed to have 5k online.
that may be a result of being the next tribes after T1, and the surrounding hype, so t2 had that edge going for it. so as far as marketing and hype, t2 > t:v, but as far as the product and stability, t:v > t2.

I pretty much agree with what americanjoe said.
While its true that t2 had more bugs and was unplayable for many people on its release day you knew that the dev team was working hard to fix all problems. T:V on the other hand allready seems like a abandoned product to me and I mainly blame vug for that.

so #3 for me.

what the hell are you talking about, they've already said they're working on a patch, clean the sand out of ur p*ssies

it took the t2 dev team forever to fix shazbot and so much shazbot was broken at launch.
the t2 dev's didnt talk to us anymore than the t:v dev's (actually far far far less).
super elf, no demo's, TERRIBLE skiing... the game was a JOKE, but there sure were alot of people playing it.

also, im not an IGA fanboy, it just seems alot of people forget things, t2 was far from pleasant, and there dev team wasnt 1/10th as communicative as the T:V dev's, before or after release.

Last edited:
Back