we haven't had a good flame thread in awhile, so here it goes. (TW DRAMA)

Dac346_99 said:
DruMAX and some other Investigators on LaptopGate claim that WOFN shoutcast and TW coverage of T:V is a waste. I would like to inform them that without that kind of shit, the only coverage of the event would be seen on Gamespy, IGN, etc. and in some gaming mags. I personally got jack shit from anyone of those articles, it was like asking a newbie to judge the feel of a spinfuser.. When I actually got to watch the Press Conference it was actually a big event in the Tribes community and got tons of interest in Tribes:V and made it imho look FUN.
So a digital camcorder recording uploaded the next day wouldn't have worked. Did it HAVE to be live?

Also WOFN wasn't created for pre T:V talkshows and t2 shoutcasts.. It's for the hopeful awesome T:V competition and coverage when T:V comes out, helping TW expand to be a bigger part of the community. btw how much money did you spend on WOFN. Also did you watch the press conference. Or better yet, do you even care about tribes anymore?

You miss the point. I like TW, I donated to keep it running. I could care less about WOFN. I don't want my donation going towards something I don't give a shit about.

To help you understand...

Would I donate to keep TW alive? Yes
Would I donate to keep WOFN alive? No
Would I donate to buy a laptop for WOFN? Fuck No!

On the other hand, since the money is gone already I don't really care...however I dunno about future donations.

vawlk said:
So a digital camcorder recording uploaded the next day wouldn't have worked. Did it HAVE to be live?

You miss the point. I like TW, I donated to keep it running. I could care less about WOFN. I don't want my donation going towards something I don't give a shit about.

To help you understand...

Would I donate to keep TW alive? Yes
Would I donate to keep WOFN alive? No
Would I donate to buy a laptop for WOFN? Fuck No!

On the other hand, since the money is gone already I don't really care...however I dunno about future donations.
Does it make you feel any better that we have just determine that none of your money went to WOFN. It's true, we wrote people's names on every dollar we got, and as it turns out, all of yours went into the server.

Yogi said:
Does it make you feel any better that we have just determine that none of your money went to WOFN. It's true, we wrote people's names on every dollar we got, and as it turns out, all of yours went into the server.

hehe i was waiting for someone to say that.

Yogi said:

:lol:
This is why I love this place.

Isn't this basically the same shit we went through when there was drama started about whether or not people should get refunds because Taxi was banned in order to finish up the donations?

Now while it may have been in good interest for Col to specify beforehand that any remaining money would be spent on other TW related things, which could include WOFN, I don't think there's anything dreadfully wrong with what was done.

This would have been better handled with a private confrontation followed by Colosus posting something to clarify.

Come on Alex ... you're not REALLY surprised by my reaction, are you? ;)

I read your entire post, and as always enjoyed your well-communicated ideas.

You bring up some valid points that echo some previous points made by others earlier, especially with regards to the fact that Colosus should have informed the community of the intended purchase.

I guess what it boils down to for me is that I personally don't care. Maybe it's just from my close association with him and others who help keep the community wheels greased and spinning, but I just know that nothing slimy was being done, so it really doesn't phase me at all.

In truth (and I believe I stated this earlier), my primary motivation in participating in this thread was self-entertainment ... and I must say that I succeeded quite well! :)

Almost all of my posts -- especially my first reply -- reek of obnoxious over-exaggeration. It's how I get my kicks when I'm bored.

I don't have the time to write a fable at work, unfortunately. :D

Vampire said:
This would have been better handled with a private confrontation followed by Colosus posting something to clarify.
But thats no fun. Whoever actually is upset needs to go away from TW for awhile.

I disagree with what happened but I've been laughing my way through this whole thread.

LogRoller said:
Warning, incoming giant post from LogRoller. Don't fucking read it if it is too long for you. I'm bottom lining it as much as I'm going to.

Okay, I have read the entire thread, and I'm somewhat upset with some of the people who are flaming folks who legitimately criticized Colosus in what I consider to be a relatively mature fashion, given the level of social dialogue that has been well established here on this board. I am looking in particular at old_skul, Bounty, and Cheater because their reactions surprised me the most, but others as well.

Now, to put this in context. I don't mind what Colosus does with the money. I really don't. So please be mindful of that fact as you read this. I think what he did was wrong, but he said that he was sorry, and I have forgiven him. I like Colosus and consider him a treasured online pal.

People were giving money for a server for the forums. Maybe their motivations were varied, but the intent of that fund drive was to get funds to provide a server for this site and these forums. To take part of the money and use it for another purpose, although legal, is not in the spirit of what I would consider to be the intent of the donations. Some people, like Dru, felt that the use of the money to support a "value adding" service that they did not appreciate was inappropriate. I agree with that. I sometimes listen to WOFN, but if it disappeared tomorrow, I would not give any money to save it at this time. If TW were to disappear tomorrow, I would give money to save it. Perhaps as the community develops and T:V comes out, I will feel differently.

Justifications being thrown around about Colosus' time put into the site and such, although certainly heartfelt and justified emotionally, are falling on deaf ears when it comes around to me. I have been participating in this community for quite some time - since the week Tribes 1 came out, actually. I have also been thinking about it for a long time.

I spent a lot of my life on this game. Not just playing it, but also trying to make it enjoyable for others. I posted a lot on the forums. I joined the DTM with the intent of helping newbies learn to play. I eventually came to be a moderator for the Sierra forums which had gotten too big for Analog Kid to handle. Even though my efforts were largely unappreciated by many of the people here (and I understand why, and I partially agree, so no need to dwell on it), everything that I did was to provide help and support to a community that I cared about quite a lot. I burned vacation days when T2 was released just to constantly hang in TribesIRC and help newbies sort out their issues. My wife was pissed! I spent at least an hour every night answering troubleshooting questions for weeks. And I did not expect anything in return for that. Making the community accessible and relatively friendly was its own reward.

I also post here a lot, and always have. I often try to make jokes and make people laugh. I also try to get people to just be nice to each other once in a while. I like doing that, so when people post that they like what I have written, it encourages me. And when I see that, it lets me know that they enjoy whatever contribution I have made to the community dialogue. I've also thought a lot about the game, and over the years have tried to represent different views on the forum even when I did not necessarily agree with them, just to try to make people think. Why? Because it added value to the forums and the community, and increased the level of interaction about the game. That stuff is fun for me, just because of my personality. I spend a lot of time doing it. I don't want money for it.

And I can not imagine the amount of time that other members of the community have contributed into making maps, demos, guides, scripts, software, and all of the rest of it.

Justifying the use of that money by saying that Colosus deserved it is a slap in the face to anyone who has ever done anything beneficial for the Tribes community without expecting any money in return. What it is saying is that the service that Colosus has voluntarily chosen to provide because it presumably brings him some inherent existential pleasure is valuable enough that our donations should be misappropriated without our knowledge or consent. It is an insult, and I find it ironic that old_skul accuses twiztd of having a sense of entitlement because that is precisely what is being assumed on Colosus' behalf with this argument. He is entitled to do whatever he wants, because he works so hard.

Well, over the past 5 years, a lot of us have worked hard. I don't think that it entitles us to anything, because we've already had our reasons for doing it.

If you disagree, and you think that efforts should be rewarded, then ask for it and say so up front. That's not an unreasonable thing to expect. I can not believe some of the attitudes being expressed in this thread. I really just do not get it, and I am upset by it.

quoted because its an excellent post that sums things up nicely

(well i dont know about sums)

The one thing I think all of you fail to realize is that you have not lost anything here, The laptop was not bought instead of the server it was bought with funds that were left over. You got what you donated for. Should Colosus have announced a laptop would be purchased? maybe so but it wasn't a planned purchase. But it is being used for Tribalwar/WOFN uses and both were created for your benefit if you don't give a fuck about WOFN well that's ok we expected some to not care and some to not like us. But like it or not we are still going to do our best to contribute to this community.

I have no idea how I am going to do this but if it would make the community feel better and forgive Colosus for something he admitted to making a poor judgement on I will try to come up with the funds used to buy the laptop and return the money to the funds jar so it can sit there. That way you can consider the money used a loan.

Colosus never said he felt like he deserved the laptop for his hard work and again he bought it to benefit the site, He believes in WOFN and has worked very hard to help us get it set up. We are a part of the Tribalwar network and if we are successful Tribalwar benefits from it.

When the laptop was purchased Bodyshot and I both contributed $90 each towards its purchase, As I am able I will continue to contribute money directly towards that fund until the $500+ is paid back in full. Hopefully this wont take too long but I am not a very rich man and I can only do what I can.

WTF you assholes????

Contribute $90 to the "Buy Bounty a New Video Cast Box Motherboard" fund!!!!! :hrm:

[00:10:27] <Bounty> And dude, it's so funny because after Colosus GOT that laptop and everything, I told him to send me some of hte TW money ... he only sent me half, but I was able to get that new PDA for myself ... fucking community is clueless ... hahaha suckers
[00:10:34] <Bounty> oh shit ... this isn't the staff channel

Excal said:
The one thing I think all of you fail to realize is that you have not lost anything here, The laptop was not bought instead of the server it was bought with funds that were left over. You got what you donated for. Should Colosus have announced a laptop would be purchased? maybe so but it wasn't a planned purchase. But it is being used for Tribalwar/WOFN uses and both were created for your benefit if you don't give a fuck about WOFN well that's ok we expected some to not care and some to not like us. But like it or not we are still going to do our best to contribute to this community.

I have no idea how I am going to do this but if it would make the community feel better and forgive Colosus for something he admitted to making a poor judgement on I will try to come up with the funds used to buy the laptop and return the money to the funds jar so it can sit there. That way you can consider the money used a loan.

Colosus never said he felt like he deserved the laptop for his hard work and again he bought it to benefit the site, He believes in WOFN and has worked very hard to help us get it set up. We are a part of the Tribalwar network and if we are successful Tribalwar benefits from it.

When the laptop was purchased Bodyshot and I both contributed $90 each towards its purchase, As I am able I will continue to contribute money directly towards that fund until the $500+ is paid back in full. Hopefully this wont take too long but I am not a very rich man and I can only do what I can.

So do it, start building the funds jar.

Unless you are an indian giver?

I think I attempted to use logic at TW again, which is where I failed.

Seems to me its a simple matter. It should have been said up front, it wasn't, but it really doesn't change the outcome.

Now if I remember correctly the last $375 donation was made by a single person, essentially all of that was laptop fund. Really the number of people who actually contributed money to what ended up being the overflow, and to the laptop, is rather small.

If you really want to split hairs, maybe the records should have been checked to see where the last $700 or so came from, and those people contacted to let them know their donations were going to a side project, etc.

I didn't have money to donate at the time, but if I did, I think I would be a bit put off that the money was spent on something other than the server without anything being said, but I would still be pleased with the results as they turned out. :shrug:

Back