[T:V] OpenGL or D3D?

Dark|Dragon

Veteran X
I ran a search and didn't find anything on this.

Will T:V be on OpenGL or D3D? I'd prefer OpenGL, because it's open source. But is the Unreal Engine limited to one of these standards?

What does OpenGL being open-source have to do with anything? And D3D is pretty much standard now. If UT2k3 has OGL support, then T:V probably will. I don't have UT2k3 so I don't know if it does or not. But Zoolooman seems to know.

I thought most games now a days use D3D. I think the last game that i played in openGL was Vice city maybe , i cant remember if that was D3D or GL.

Ixiterra said:
What does OpenGL being open-source have to do with anything?

When I compare something like Mozilla (open source) to IE (closed source) open source comes out on top.

Of course I don't know if this holds true with graphics or not. :shrug:

OpenGL is a much better API from what I hear, and it sure performs better in my experience. I really hope T:V will have an OpenGL option.

Also:
Ixiterra said:
What does OpenGL being open-source have to do with anything?

It has alot to do with things when it comes to the linux community (not talking about T:V specifically, just in general). I've seen people refuse to download and play Legends (a FREE game) just because it goes against their morals to use anything closed source. It's kinda like suicide bombers: doesn't make any sense to us, but some people die by it.

Dark|Dragon said:
When I compare something like Mozilla (open source) to IE (closed source) open source comes out on top.

Of course I don't know if this holds true with graphics or not. :shrug:
IE was originally based off of Mozilla. ;) Well, Mosaic actually. But that isn't a very good reason why to think OpenGL is better.

OpenGL isn't open source. Even if it was, I really doubt they'd make a game open source that costs millions of dollars to create.

Theta said:
OpenGL isn't open source. Even if it was, I really doubt they'd make a game open source that costs millions of dollars to create.
He just meant the API, not the game itself. I didn't know of OGL was open source or not. :shrug:

The API itself isn't open source ;) If it is, then I'm a retard and I'd like a link to download it to see how it works.

That aside, I would love an explanation from these linux-heads on why open source is sooo much better. It's not like they actually edit the source code themselves. I don't see how running "make" on your computer and having a custom compiled program on your computer makes it any better.

/rant off

:D

and, of course, opengl hacks are extremely simple to make with just a few lines of code. but i dont know anything about D3D, so who knows. might be harder for cheaters to create graphic hacks for D3D?

Open source would probably be great in a eutopia but cutting edge things will always tend to be closed source. It's just much easier to give people drive when money is involved. Also, the added liability of closed source forces the developer to take more responsibility for what they create... you can purchase support for open source in some cases but when a company's future is on the line they tend to get things right.

However, I do like how open source groups keep the closed source companies honest.

Medieval Total War uses D3D and honestly it gives me alot of shit :|
But I really don't mibd either; it just sucks if ur card doesn't support it

then again if it didn't it probably wouldn't be able to run a high-end game.

Guess I should've said I've had better experiences with OpenGL games. Of course having the ability to choose would be nice but I'm buying the game either way.

Choosing is better but in the case of games in the HL family that let you choose, when I pick D3D i hit like 10 fps and it looks like software mode, so I'm like huh?

Maybe it was designed leaning more toward OpenGL...

Point is either way TV looks fuckin wow

Theta said:

theres no source, its a specification implemented differently by each board manufacturer

also ut2k3 supports both ogl and d3d, d3d is on by default because microsoft payed them to. you can switch to ogl for higher fps.

d3d is only popular because its supported by a multibillion dollar company. opengl is still superior and will never be replaced.

Back