[T:V] ctf and beyond...

pyrot3chnic

Veteran XX
We've seen a lot games come and go, and they all have a similar style of play. Your basic D vs O, one team defends while the second attempts to destroy/capture. The most famous one , of course, being counter-strike.. other games likes sof2 with it's infiltration (briefcase heist), and currently cod's search and destroy that seems to be the big hit, with nearly 200 teams on TWL's 6v6 S&D ladder, likewise with CAL. The thing is, CTF in games like these always falls short, popularity-wise.

So, what could be in store for T:V, besides the trademark CTF game that's been around since the beginning? Siege was a good attempt in T2, and had the game not crashed and burned right at the start, it might have drawn some interest from other games that play under these defend and destroy game-types.

Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing something like sof2's infiltration... However, I doubt it would work as well as sof2, and other games like it, because they don't allow z-axis movement. So that brings up the question, how would you transfer this sof2/cod/cs style to the tribes world so it makes some sense?
You clearly couldn't play infiltration on wide open, rolling-hill maps since it would just turn into your regular ctf flag chase.
Now, the devs did mention in-door only maps(i believe), so that does leave some possibilities..

Thoughts?

btw, i know most every triber hates cs, but put that shit aside when looking at this.
There will be a lot of experimentation from teams that have no tribes history/experience, and they'll want to play what appeals to them most.. but I'm sure our community will end up pushing most of them towards CTF.. since that's where most of the skill will be.

I think what's actually harder to sell than the gametype is the science fantasy.

Take any video gamer whos favorite games are GTA and sports games. Typically, that type of person will prefer realistic weapons and players, and that's the end of it.

I think the sports game approch is best in that case, but something like that has got to be hard to sell to this crowd. After all, bombing run wasn't too popular for very long. The other option is better graphics (FFVII's FMV got non-gamers to play an RPG for christ's sake). But you'd have to dethrone CTF.

We need the enders game mod. We can hit up the regualr science fiction dorks that way, I think it'd be an easier player base to tap.

The difference between tribes CTF, and _____ CTF, is that they play completely and totally different, and the only similarity between tribes style CTF and any other CTF, is having 2 flags that can both get "capped". After that, the comparison pretty much stops. Closed in, ground hugging slow speed CTF in games that usually have 1 hit kill weapons, is so completely different from vast outdoor high speed, no 1 hit kill (outside of mortars of course), high flying CTF that you get in tribes.

The reason why CTF is boring and not popular in other games, is because CTF isn't well suited to the games play style. The other gametypes simply make more sense in WWII style games, since CTF doesen't offer nearly the depth in those games that the objective based gameplay does.

Tribes is completley different when it comes to CTF. All the elements of tribes are made for and greatly enhance CTF. CTF in other games is a very basic game mode that usually doesen't contain alot of depth. The speed of tribes, combined with the different armor, and the way weapons work transform CTF into something that isn't comparable in the least to any other CTF mode in any other game. This is why it's stupid to say "CTF SUCKS IN SOF2 (or whatever), THEREFORE GAMERS DONT LIKE CTF AND WONT LIKE CTF IN T:V!", CTF is simply a lower quality play mode in other games due to their design. CTF however, works for tribes, and works for it on a level that it does for no other game made.

Also, when looking at new gametypes for tribes, you have to be focused on gametypes that take advantage of the most unique feature of tribes in its vast limitless movement. Gametypes that are based on speed, and can be played with alot of speed. Which reminds me of a screenshot I saw awhile back of two small flags in a field...

A possible gametype that could be in the game would be an interesting mix of hunters and CTF. By this I mean a team has multiple flags in several areas, and a main stand that they bring the flags to, to score points. One player could only carry one flag at a time mind you. What this would do would be to force offenses and defenses to be dynamic and consistantly changing to adapt to what the other team is doing.

To add to this dynamic a bit more, they could also make the flags worth different point values. For example, teams could have a few flags on the outskirts of their base practically at midfield that were worth only 1 point, while they could have a snowblind style flag in their main base worth 25 points for example. Then a few on more well defended (but open) stands worth 10 points, etc. A team could have up to 6-8 flags in a setup like this. The gameplay flow would also be very tribes like due to the speed that the game would be played at.

Now, there could be nothing remotely like that in T:V, but I'd presume that the new gametypes that come out would be mostly based on the speed and intensity of gameplay that tribes brings rather than trying to focus on elements of tribes that aren't so spectacular.

That CTF+Hunters idea isn't bad, but I wouldn't complicate it that much. This is how it should work IMO:

1) Players are allowed to carry more flags at a time.
2) When a team's flag is grabbed, a new one will spawn on the stand 5 seconds later.
3) Flags must be capped in Nexus in halfway between the two bases. This is so that teams can't get away with bringing flags home and passing them to a turtler who then caps at their own flag with ease.
4) More flags capped at once result in exponentially bigger point reward (like in Hunters).

Amadeu5 said:
That CTF+Hunters idea isn't bad, but I wouldn't complicate it that much. This is how it should work IMO:

1) Players are allowed to carry more flags at a time.
2) When a team's flag is grabbed, a new one will spawn on the stand 5 seconds later.
3) Flags must be capped in Nexus in halfway between the two bases. This is so that teams can't get away with bringing flags home and passing them to a turtler who then caps at their own flag with ease.
4) More flags capped at once result in exponentially bigger point reward (like in Hunters).
Sounds similar to mad cap challenge.
:roller:

Arena is the tribes equivilant of said gametypes. Its about the closest thing that has existed in T1 and T2, it has more of a cult following now but at one point on OGL it was fairly popular.

ZProtoss said:
Also, when looking at new gametypes for tribes, you have to be focused on gametypes that take advantage of the most unique feature of tribes in its vast limitless movement. Gametypes that are based on speed, and can be played with alot of speed. Which reminds me of a screenshot I saw awhile back of two small flags in a field...

A possible gametype that could be in the game would be an interesting mix of hunters and CTF. By this I mean a team has multiple flags in several areas, and a main stand that they bring the flags to, to score points. One player could only carry one flag at a time mind you. What this would do would be to force offenses and defenses to be dynamic and consistantly changing to adapt to what the other team is doing.

To add to this dynamic a bit more, they could also make the flags worth different point values. For example, teams could have a few flags on the outskirts of their base practically at midfield that were worth only 1 point, while they could have a snowblind style flag in their main base worth 25 points for example. Then a few on more well defended (but open) stands worth 10 points, etc. A team could have up to 6-8 flags in a setup like this. The gameplay flow would also be very tribes like due to the speed that the game would be played at.

Now, there could be nothing remotely like that in T:V, but I'd presume that the new gametypes that come out would be mostly based on the speed and intensity of gameplay that tribes brings rather than trying to focus on elements of tribes that aren't so spectacular.
t1 had this mode.. can't remember the name, but you had 4 flags to begin with in the middle of a map.. and both sides had 4 stands in their base.. the first to get all 4 flags wins, but you can steal flags from your enemy's stand and bring them back, etc..
It was a pretty fun gametype, along with Capture and Hold.. I'm sure most t1 vets have played this one too. You capture and hold bases which give you a certain amount of points per minute held, then when the time expires whoever has the most points wins...
Heavies spamming the spawn points made this a bad experience, but if you had descept people in a server it was a very interesting game.

Last edited:
RedSpider(Real) said:
Arena is the tribes equivilant of said gametypes. Its about the closest thing that has existed in T1 and T2, it has more of a cult following now but at one point on OGL it was fairly popular.
Arena should definetly be included.. if not in the box, then a mod.
Tribes III Arena, heh..
Nevertheless, it would be a good gametype for most of the run n gun type of players.. aka quakers.
Who knows, maybe CPL includes an Arena tourney.. It's simple, and doesn't require much effort to run a tourney for it, as it would for a 10v10 or 12v12 CTF tourney.
Maybe fatal1ty would try his luck in the tribes world.. I think he'd get his ass whooped by a lot of people from this community, but that's just me.
T:V should appeal to as many people as possible, and this is one gametype that would bring in a lot of the lone gamers out there that like to pub and do 1v1, or 2v2--instead of large teamplay.

Back