The Implications of the Boost

Flatscan

Veteran XV
As I understand it, the boost is a feature that let's you use all your energy to accelerate movement in a given direction.

From KP and other's posts we know that it:

1. is less powerful than a dj
2. is less effective when going very fast
3. can be used to accelerate a dive (by looking down)

Question: Can it be used to rise more quickly (e.g. by looking up and boosting)?

The implications of this change are interesting. Here are some that I've considered:

CTF:

Routing - Will give you flexibility in designing routes as a HO or capper. Theoretically top speeds should be higher than before.

Chasing - LD may be able to catch up faster given that they can boost and dj to catch up to a fast moving capper

HOFing - A HOF could boost into a capper or the flag (e.g. look down and boost) to make himself less moveable (good hof jet when shot in any case)

TR:

Catching passes - Will let you manuever for hard to catch passes more easily. The fact that you need a full pack to use it seems problematic, however

I would prefer that the boost scale with how much energy you have.

I don't think the boost impacts other gametypes much (could be wrong).

What other ideas are out there?

If its built off the exsisting energy you already have then it could be a nice add in. At first I thought it was some gay ass import from one of the T1 mods. Don't remember if it was Ren, Havok or something else.

Let me clarify:

You have to have full PACK ENERGY.

This energy stuff is confusing, so p-energy is pack energy, and j-energy is jetpack energy.

The boost can only be used with p-energy and only if your p-energy is full. j-energy is not drained when the boost is activated, only p-energy.

Actually, I believe only the pack itself needs to have full energy to work.

So in that respect, you can only boost when your epack is full.

I think your idea about the HoF role expanding is a good one. The HoF has bad mobility, and has often just been to slow to save a grab once he's been disced away. Traditionally, the shield pack is the pack of choice by a HoF. But with the free save the epack would provide, I can see them wearing it instead. It'd also be a great addition to team rabbit goalies, giving them the ability to dive.

The only thing I beilieve I would prefer out of the boost, is that rather than basing the direction off where one is facing, it also factors if you're pressing left right or back. Thus rather than having to turn around, or to the side, you can just press that direction and mid air strafe.

The biggest thing that came into my mind, dueling being my favorite activity in tribes, is that its a get out of jail free card from any disk or grenade that would otherwise hit you once you lost the energy game and are falling in a predictable arc to the ground.

It applies in the same respect for cappers being chased.

LD may catch up quicker but the capper also gets this added defense of being able to avoid a volley or adapt to a unplanned route easier.

I think its pretty interesting.

Sir Lucius said:
The only thing I beilieve I would prefer out of the boost, is that rather than basing the direction off where one is facing, it also factors if you're pressing left right or back. Thus rather than having to turn around, or to the side, you can just press that direction and mid air strafe.

Yeah that was my second concern, it should accept movement keys just like the jetpack does.

SaintDude said:
If its built off the exsisting energy you already have then it could be a nice add in. At first I thought it was some gay ass import from one of the T1 mods. Don't remember if it was Ren, Havok or something else.

If I read it correctly energy from your pack is dumped into the jets to perform this, so possibly the amount of boost would be determined by how much energy you have left.

Don't quote me on that.

To answer Flatscan: you boost in whatever direction you are facing. So if you face up, you boost up.

Given the above posts, the boost will absolutely make TR easier.

Within reason this is good. In TR2 you can do everything you could possibly do to catch a pass and just barely, barely miss (e.g. position your body well, use your jet to full effect). This was (is) especially true of low passes. Since you can't accelerate a fall, near-misses were (are) common - even with very skilled players.

If you had the ability to jet straight up or down this would happen with much less frequency.

The "binary" nature of the boost (e.g. its on full or not at all) should make sure that the skill curve doesn't shrink so so much in TR. You will still need to make sure you don't boost BELOW or ABOVE the flag depending on where you are.

I like it =)!

yeah i think ppl are confusing things.

when you jet normally you just "j-energy" (like all tribes games)

but now all packs have a passive and active function. so now the pack has its own energy it draws from for the active function. ("p-energy")

you need full p-energy to boost, not full j-energy. i think you regain p over time just like j. it would be pretty worthless otherwise, b/c then you'd only be able to use it when standing still (pretty much)

You need an epack to use the boost. No decent HoF is going to be using epack ;)

edit: assuming there is a shield pack :)

Cedar said:
You need an epack to use the boost. No decent HoF is going to be using epack ;)

Ah, but it's a bit premature to make such a statement. With the redesign of the passive and active functions of each pack, it's now possible that it HoF health can be protected with the new radius of the repair pack.

So maybe an ammo or an epack would be just as useful to a HoF.

Zoolooman is correct that it requires a fully charged e-pack, and that the boost does not use suit energy at all.

The interesting question to me is what pack will chasers really want to use now? E pack, for it's boost, or repair for it's consistant repair which might let you disk-jump an extra time.

/me starts pumpin' extra info out of Thrax

Will you be able to perform any kind of action when your e-pack is not fully charged? (exponentially weaker boost maybe... :shrug: ) Or should folks be happy that their suit energy is replenishing faster and stfu?

Thrax Panda said:
The interesting question to me is what pack will chasers really want to use now? E pack, for it's boost, or repair for it's consistant repair which might let you disk-jump an extra time.
I doubt (unless were talking super repair pack action), any LD will efficiently chase with a rep pack over an nrg pack.

I don't know Val.

1. The fact is, a stay at home LD could actually run out of ammo while fighting if he was constantly healing. Talk about a high death/kill ratio! He has all that time to heal up.

2. A chasing LD could disc jump twice and still have a lot of health! On a big route, maybe even three times!

It'll be something we all play with and decide later. Like everything it'll probably degrade into two schools of thought depending on the map or style of play.

Back