Zear Goes Backpacking

Zear

Veteran XV
Some of you may remember me. Some may even recall me previously asking if anyone wanted to go backpacking in Oregon.

Well, my knees won't last forever - I'm 46 and if I'm going to use them I best get on with it. So I had been thinking about the 'glory days' of my teens, when I went backpacking or camping nearly every month for 7 years in the Boy Scouts. The pinnacle backpacking trip was when I was about 14 and we hiked the Pacific Crest Trail (PCT) from Dee Wright Observatory south to Waldo Lake. I believe it was about 61 miles over 6 days, including a summit of the Middle Sister.

It was me, two other boys, the Scoutmaster, and a 60+ year old man that out-hiked us all (and the Scoutmaster was a marine). I did it as a 100 lb beanpole of a kid, and I carried 70's era gear on an external frame pack. It was brutal for a kid my size to carry 1/3 my own weight with not even a hip belt, but it was one of the most wonderful experiences of my life.

I decided recently that I would like to reprise that trip, some 30-odd years later. But as I started planning, I could not find my old map from the trip. I checked in with the only other person who went that I know is still alive, and he couldn't find his either. I discovered that there are good reasons to deviate from the original itinerary anyway. To avoid mosquitoes I will go a tad later in the season (early August). That changes what water is available, which alters where I should camp. I don't plan to summit the Middle Sister this time. Once I realized this was going to be a new hike over old ground, I decided to extend it as well. I will now hike from Dee Wright, all the way to Hwy 58 (McKenzie Pass to Willamette Pass), which is 75.5 miles and is known as Oregon Section E of the PCT. Suddenly I'm a section hiker.

Here is a kmz file that shows my route in Google Earth. I'll be south-bound: http://www.zear.net/ORSecE.kmz Assuming you trust me, and that you have Google Earth installed, just save this locally and double-click the file - it will take you there automatically.

I already have most of the gear. Until this year I hadn't gone more than 5 miles in a day in 20 years, but I have been backpacking for years. I have a closet full of backpacks, tents, hammocks and down bags. I have all the tech I need too, including a great GPS, multiple stove choices, etc. I'm not new to backpacking. But I am making changes to the list of what I carry.

I am out of shape. I should be about 140 lbs, but I'm around 170. And I'm getting old. I'm soft. I often do just one brutal trip a year with no physical prep really. But I don't think I'll be able to just gut it out for 75 miles, so I need to get back into decent shape. It will do me a lot of good.

Since I want to shape up and also need to do some shakedown of new equipment, I have decided to go on a good hike at least once a month until the 'big trip'. Winter is wet and cold here. This will be fun (already has been TBH).

I'm also changing my diet to be more healthy, engaging in regular cardio, and I plan to do some miles on my wife's treadmill with a full pack weight.

TL;DR: I'm getting ready for a big backpacking trip. In this thread I will post video and images from my training hikes and from the 'big trip'.

BTW - if anyone wants to join me, send a PM. I don't want to do it alone, and the only others going are two maybes. I'll rent a damn sat phone and do it alone if I have to though.

how easy is it for people to meet you for a few days rather than doing the whole thing

also congrats man :)
one of my buddies left austin in april and came back last month
i think he hiked most of if not the whole Appalachian trail
sent food to PO boxes and shit

On September 28th, I did my first training hike. I started at Dee Wright Observatory, and went about 7 miles south on the PCT. The wind was 20-50 mph, in the 50's, it was foggy, overcast above that mostly, with occasional rain and hail coming in horizontally. I was glorious! I love being out in the weather.

I took a full pack load with shelter and extra food, in case something went wrong. Also, it got my pack weight up to 30 lbs for training purposes.

My goal was to just spend half the day going south and the other half walking back. Since I got to the trail-head at 9am and needed to drive away by 5pm, I had 8 hours. My turnaround time was 1pm.

This area is in the middle of one of several large lava flows in the area. All I can see for miles is fractured lava piles. And if I'm not on top of a pile I see whole lot less. Here's the trail-head on the side of Old McKenzie Hwy:

73wt.jpg

The camera work is shoddy. Sorry. The camera was not waterproof, the light was pretty low, and once I got going I couldn't hold the camera still to save my life. Again, sorry. I'm looking for a better camera.

I hiked 1.25 miles over the lava bed, then the trail dropped down into forest between the flows for a while. There was a good stream running down the center of the path. Right off I saw the only creatures larger than a squirrel that I would see the whole trip: deer. First I took a pic of this one. Shaky was killing me:

cyrn.jpg

15or.jpg

Then I carefully packed my camera into a ziploc bag, and put it away. Only after doing that did the second deer pop out on the left, and then both joined 6 other deer that were hidden off-trail about 30 feet to my left. Of course, I didn't have enough time to get the camera out before they were gone.

Here are 4 pics taken in that section:

b0gw.jpg

r0wc.jpg

zlrn.jpg

z1f7.jpg

Then I met a couple guys at South Mattheu Lake. They were only crossing the PCT really and had some off-trail lake in their sights. I got a pic of one of them. I tried to remember their names, but I should have wrote them down because I forgot them:

3jf8.jpg

Then the trail crossed over the lava flow again. These pics show the transition from forest to lava rock:

1lhu.jpg

x3ar.jpg

Here are a couple shots I took while on the lava:

sdj7.jpg

wyu8.jpg

These next two are pictures of Yapoah Crater, a large cinder cone I skirted. In the second picture, you are looking up a smooth slope climbing 500' in elevation to the crater up there. Not a fun walk, no thank you:

87ar.jpg

g4pc.jpg

After I got back off the flow, more hiking:

fwjz.jpg

er5d.jpg

Here's the same place as a short video clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rnoc1OExJYo

Then I got to the meadow where the Scott trail comes in from the west and intersects the PCT. It was beautiful there, and the weather was nice for a little while. Nice little creek flowing north:

g0om.jpg

d0v2.jpg

4uv3.jpg

Here's video of the creek:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qykuIDca4Qc

Just after I crossed the meadow and started up the hillside, it hit 1pm. My GPS odometer said 7.1 miles. I turned and walked out the way I came.

Here is my path: http://www.zear.net/dw2st.kmz

Next, this weekend's trip to the same meadow - a very different experience.

Last edited:
your pack only weighs 30lbs!?

the last time i went backpacking my pack weighed about 70 lbs. granted i was carrying some group weight, and we were stocked with ~10 days worth of food, but man 30lbs seems really light.

what made my pack so heavy?
-clothing / layers for warmish - freezing conditions
-sleeping bag
-sleeping pad
-tent components (poles, rain fly, or tent - 3 people would split this stuff up)
-cooking components (pots 'n pans, stove, fuel - again split between 3 people)
-food
-crazy creek chair (definitely worth the weight)
-misc stuff (leatherman, headlamp, book, camera, etc.)
-more group stuff (first aid, dromedary bags, etc.)
-4 liters of water

2 liters in a camelback type thing, 2 liters in nalgene bottles. this way you can always make sure your camelback is filled with drinkable water. use your nalgene bottles to treat water on the go. i prefer chlorine to iodine.

Last edited:
bring weed

:brows:

how easy is it for people to meet you for a few days rather than doing the whole thing

also congrats man :)
one of my buddies left austin in april and came back last month
i think he hiked most of if not the whole Appalachian trail
sent food to PO boxes and shit

On the long trip, really hard. Unlike the AT, there are very few places where you can get to the trail in between those highways and none of them are roads. There is no resupply here. This goes through the heart of the Three Sisters Wilderness. The closest access in the northern 2/3rds is a difficult 5 mile hike up steep terrain with significant off-trail.

If you mean drop in and go on a short hike, that would be pretty easy to do if you have gear.

Last edited:
your pack only weighs 30lbs!?

the last time i went backpacking my pack weighed about 70 lbs. granted i was carrying some group weight, and we were stocked with ~10 days worth of food, but man 30lbs seems really light.

One day's food only and since it's so wet, only 2 liters water. Plus I've been slowly shedding gear weight for years. I'm no ultra-light hiker, but I can get my base weight down around 27 lbs. Plus I may add a tripod and some other miscellaneous gear to that. So I expect it to rise. But yeah, for that trip, 30lbs AUW.

Last edited:
Next trip. Just last weekend on October 19th. After the poor weather of the last trip, a storm flew in and snowed on the Cascades. Pretty much all the thru hikers on the PCT had to bail due to too much snow. A few had to be 'rescued'. I decided to go back to the same meadow at the intersection of the Scott Trail and the PCT, but this time I would go via the Scott trail and save about a mile. Then I would head south a few miles, crossing Opie Dildock Pass and turn around just north of the Obsidian limited-use area. It didn't turn out that way.

This time the weather was relatively nice. Mid 60s for the high up there (t-shirt and shorts weather), slight breeze, clear and sunny.

I have fewer pics. I forgot to put a card in the camera (doh), and didn't remember that my flip phone has a camera until I was miles in. So the pics are so-so quality. I got as far as 4-In-One Cone and took this pic of the South and Middle Sisters:

no5p.jpg

Going down into the bowl east of 4-In-One, I took this pic looking north. I believe that is Mt. Washington in the distance. 4-In-One is the ridge on the left:

3fhp.jpg

I saw tracks in the snow. Here's what I think was elk. I saw bear and some kind of cat, too, but that was before I remembered my phone, and I didn't spot them on the way out. I really need to work on my camera situation. This hole is about 4" in diameter at the top:

8sqa.jpg

I did make it to the meadow, but by here the snow was 12-16" deep. I don't have gaiters or snowshoes, so I had to stop here. Since it was hundreds of feet higher at Opie Dildock Pass, I knew that was not an option. I sat down and had a hot lunch before heading back home.

All of these next pics were taken from the hill to the west of the meadow. It wasn't worth the wet and cold to go down the hill. The first pic is looking down into the north end of the meadow. Looks different, doesn't it?

gjbc.jpg

xmfn.jpg

7xza.jpg

This one shows Yapoah Crater on the center-right there:

dvuz.jpg

oz32.jpg

The hike out was tiring but uneventful.

The next hike will probably be the weekend of Nov 16/17.

Last edited:
Zear, if you're looking for ppl to go backpacking with you join a hiking club. Oregon probably has the equivalent of the Washington Trails Association or a climbing/mountaineering club.

Kudos for getting your butt in gear and getting outdoors, it rocks :)

I'm heading down to Patagonia this xmas to do the full loop in Torres Del Paines. cant wait

Zear, if you're looking for ppl to go backpacking with you join a hiking club. Oregon probably has the equivalent of the Washington Trails Association or a climbing/mountaineering club.

Kudos for getting your butt in gear and getting outdoors, it rocks :)

I'm heading down to Patagonia this xmas to do the full loop in Torres Del Paines. cant wait

I saw that loop in Backpacker. Looks fantastic. I envy you.

Back