XP Users--Beware SP2

xanthias

Contributor
Veteran XX
If any of you are like me and whore MS update pretty often, you'll see SP2 is now out for download. It's about 100MB but was a slow D/L for me--MS probably getting hammered.

Well, as you all know, this thing is supposed to be all about security, etc. and (surprise!) it borked my Inet connection after I installed it. I'm on a router/small network at home and even with the firewall feature completely turned off, I could not get out past my router or even complete ping requests on my lan.

I futzed around with it for about an hour, trying to find whatever hidden setting(s) were causing this. Got sick of it and pulled the thing back off.

:grimreape

Cliffs:
1. SP2 out
2. SP2 borks connection
3. SP2 removed
4. Fairly warned be thee, says I

WarAngel said:
this is not exactly a newsflash
I know SP2 isn't, but hadn't picked up on anyone having install issues. Got some linkage to anyone who dealt with the problem? Maybe I'll try again (like a dumbass)

Hmm what kinda setup do you have?

I installed SP2 with a linksys wireless router and cable modem running 3 diffrent computers works fine.

Alpine said:
Hmm what kinda setup do you have?

I installed SP2 with a linksys wireless router and cable modem running 3 diffrent computers works fine.
Linksys W54GS wireless/wired router connected to cable modem. Had the trouble with a laptop (XP professional with SP1) on a Linksys wireless card. Didn't bother trying to install it on the 2 wired desktops, after the headaches I had on the portable.

Side note: Not convinced it will play nice with Zone Alarm or Norton Internet Security if you have those, either (laptop didn't).

well since SP2 comes with all that cool stuff I would try deleting if you already haven't done so and then call linksys up. Their tech support is really good. Ive called them twice this week for some wireless problems I had earlier. Only problem they hired fucking french and spanish people with horrible english speaking skills and it takes a while to understand the bitches.

Got Haggis? said:
worked fine for me
I'm on a small network at home as well, and i've had actually had a BOOST in download speeds. The new IE is pretty good in comparison (still probably safer to use Firefox, Opera, etc).

Also, my WinXP was free through academic connections, but legit.

i have linksys router n wireless stuff and i haven't had any problems

have you checked the ms kb's for programs that have problems w/ sp2?

ICFire said:
...about a 100 mb.. :lol:

uh...it's 266mb.

I have had no problems with SP2.

He used auto updater which is around 100 megs for XP Pro 80ish for Home...

No problems with SP2 for me...

ICFire said:
...about a 100 mb.. :lol:

uh...it's 266mb.

I have had no problems with SP2.
If you use automatic updates or windowsupdate it downloads what you need...

the 266mb one is the 'network install' full download exe file.

Yeah, I haven't had a problem with sp2 either, I downloaded it several weeks ago from whatever link had been posted on TW :shrug:

Back