XP pauses during Startup

Pubknight

Contributor
Veteran XV
This is kind of hard to describe, so please bear with me...

I recently had to reinstall XP (Pro), and duplicated (to my knowledge, exactly) my previous XP setup.

Now, here is the problem... I use XPs native PPPoE for my DSL, and I place a shortcut to the connection in the startup folder (as in my previous install).

When the computer reboots, it goes through it's loading process... the normal things pop up in the system tray, then there is this extremely long pause (feels like 45seconds to a minute) before the PPPoE connect gets going.

Now, in my previous install, it happened almost instantly.

There is nothing new in my Startup folder, or in Startup via msconfig.
My hardware has not changed.

I'm figuring I'm missing a tweak that I may have done before.
I've tweaked my services (indexing, sys restore, background xfer, etc are all off)... so my services are the exact same as before (saved a list of how I had my services configured).

It's not a huge length of time... but it is significant enough to bug me.
Also, it bothers me because it didn't do it before.

Any suggestions on things I could check?
Thanks in advance.

Do you have a wireless network card that is not connecting to a wireless network? If so, you could try disabling it.

Nope, no wireless.

DSL modem goes directly to my NIC.
Haven't even got a network... just the one PC.

Just fixed it.

The motherboard has an onboard soundcard... which I had disabled... but somehow the parallel and serial ports on the motherboard were on Auto instead of disabled.(Must have reset bios defaults at some point during the reinstall).

Anyways, after re-disabling them, it boots up lickity split again.

I'm guessing it probably helps to resolve the IRQs quicker... since I do have more USB ports than you can shake a plug at... so the less enabled resources I have, the better.

Thanks for the suggestions though.

There goes 7 hours of my life I can't get back. =\

im still having this problem.

but i found out something interesting while install my ATI drivers.
when my ethernet cable is disconnected from my computer, it loads really quick, but when its plugged in, it has a 45sec to a minute load time.

on my network connection there are 4 things:
1394 Connection
1394 Connection 2
Local Area Connection
Verizon

the 1394 Connection 1 or 2 I cannot delete.
is it because I have two 1394 Connection?

go to the properties of Local Area Connection and go to the TCP/IP Properties. Give it an ip of 192.168.100.100, subnet mask 255.255.255.0. leave the rest blank

Back