[WoW] CGI Night Elf

KryptidE

Veteran XV
fakenightelf.jpg

This latest completely CGI woman created by artist Max Kor blows our mind. Originally created to be a submission in a World of Warcraft contest, Kor says he didn't submit it because he couldn't finish the project in time -- something about details getting in the way. We can't imagine what he's talking about.

CGI night elf causes screaming in uncanny valley - Joystiq

CGSociety - Blizzard's Warcraft - The Night Elf

Very impressive especially for someone who didn't go to school at all for it. It takes a lot of time to perfect something like this, although I would really like to see it moving because that is half the skill of animation. But still, very impressive.

All this over a face? I agree it is well done but whats the big deal?

They're acting like this is some huge amazing revolutionary thing. I give the guy props for having amazing skill and dedication to produce this, but any skilled/trained modeler could do this with enough time (and enough polys), couldn't they?

Very impressive especially for someone who didn't go to school at all for it. It takes a lot of time to perfect something like this, although I would really like to see it moving because that is half the skill of animation. But still, very impressive.

Isnt animating ALL the skill of animation?

Yes, this model needs to be animated for a 3d still entry. This makes perfect sense indeed. The work is worthless otherwise.

All this over a face? I agree it is well done but whats the big deal?

They're acting like this is some huge amazing revolutionary thing. I give the guy props for having amazing skill and dedication to produce this, but any skilled/trained modeler could do this with enough time (and enough polys), couldn't they?

yea you have no idea how it works do you. No, not anyone can do this, just like not everyone can paint like Monet. Though of course i wouldn't compare this to Monet, just citing as an example.

Last edited:
yea you have no idea how it works do you. No, not anyone can do this, just like not everyone can paint like Monet. Though of course i wouldn't compare this to Monet, just citing as an example.

Uh actually I do have some idea how this works and have dabbled a little myself as well as knowing a number of fairly skilled modelers.

You may notice--if you actually read my post--that I didn't say ANYONE could do this, I said any skilled modeler could, given working time and no poly limit. Hence my wondering why just a face (not even animated) is causing such a hullabaloo.

My guess, Digg users and WoW users combining their powers.

the whole argument of viewing this in animation rather than just still is kind of pointless

I see it as a work of art, almost like a 3d painting.

Uh actually I do have some idea how this works and have dabbled a little myself as well as knowing a number of fairly skilled modelers.

You may notice--if you actually read my post--that I didn't say ANYONE could do this, I said any skilled modeler could, given working time and no poly limit. Hence my wondering why just a face (not even animated) is causing such a hullabaloo.

My guess, Digg users and WoW users combining their powers.

Maybe. It's not just modeling, but the textures and shaders as well. You can tell that the people that made the Final Fantasy movies put in a lot of effort, but they still end up looking bizzare. The uncanny valley effect makes stuff tough once you get into this level of detail.

Maybe. It's not just modeling, but the textures and shaders as well. You can tell that the people that made the Final Fantasy movies put in a lot of effort, but they still end up looking bizzare. The uncanny valley effect makes stuff tough once you get into this level of detail.

Yeah, you don't know shit.

Back