Would you go to Mars?

I think the deviation between Neil Armstrong and this, is that the people jumping up and down, looking at the giants before them and saying "Hail yes, I'd go, damn straight I wood"

and that Armstrong had no one before him.

Nobody here is going to think about that, but you should.

i agree

but i also think that going to the moon and going to mars are two VASTLY different feats.

I think the deviation between Neil Armstrong and this, is that the people jumping up and down, looking at the giants before them and saying "Hail yes, I'd go, damn straight I wood"

i just think anyone still here trying to seek attention/validation on a 20+ year old gaming forum couldnt get past the initial screening.

I thought about that, and the name Yuri Gagarin popped into my head

Just a fun bit of watch nerd story that kinda relates.

Armstrong intentionally left his Omega Speedmaster wristwatch in the lander for the first moonwalk. He didn't want to risk the watch due to the digital timer - and many other things - in the lander not acting right. Buzz Aldrin became the first man to wear a watch on the moon.

No big fucking deal, right? The guys on Apollo 13 would use the Omega Speedmaster to time the 14 second burn to got them home.

Aldrin with his watch that was later "lost in the mail" when he sent it to the museum.
AS11-36-5390HR.jpg

Dude's were self reliant bad-asses and knew it.

It's amazing how SpaceX is using trial and error for the SN rocket tests. The last one landed but blew up on the pad a few minutes later. This is because the landing gear are tiny feet. They're still far away from going to the moon if that's how they're going to test things. They will probably send a craft unmanned to the moon to make sure it works, like they did with Crew Dragon going to the space station.

It's amazing how SpaceX is using trial and error for the SN rocket tests. The last one landed but blew up on the pad a few minutes later. This is because the landing gear are tiny feet. They're still far away from going to the moon if that's how they're going to test things. They will probably send a craft unmanned to the moon to make sure it works, like they did with Crew Dragon going to the space station.

You gotta IRL test sometime. It looked like the thing blew up from a leak prior to landing. One engine was borked and caused the reset prior to launch. Flames out the side of the rocket probably aren't normal either.

Those aren't the real legs. They're just temporary for testing. I remember reading somewhere that the legs are meant to collapse so the entire thing sits flush on the ground. I always get a kick out of the big last second landing corrections. It did have a nice bounce. Recycling isn't as easy as throwing single use items away.

I do hope we go after the recently rediscovered lunar lander that was tested and left in orbit. I'd like to see if there are issues with the cloud of things that are in front of and behind the Earth's orbit. Brian May did a bit of work on that stuff.

I would imagine the flying around in space part is the easy bit, no need to practice that, it's the landing again in one piece that is the problem.

... The last one landed but blew up on the pad a few minutes later. This is because the landing gear are tiny feet.

If you watch the video the ship catches fire before landing. it burns while on the platform.... then a while later explodes. I noticed the fire watching it live and thought it was odd, especially when it was still burning while sitting there.. I was relieved when it exploded actually, otherwise I would have wondered wtf

Back