World's First Cell Phone Virus

Lioneln

Veteran X
http://www.japantoday.com/e/?content=news&cat=1&id=328292

World's 1st cell phone virus confirmed in 12 countries; not Japan

Saturday, February 19, 2005 at 13:33 JST
LOS ANGELES — The world's first cell phone virus, called Cabir, has been confirmed in at least 12 countries, including the Philippines, its birthplace, as well as Britain, China and the United States, a computer anti-virus company said Friday.

The virus has not been reported in Japan, the Finland-based F-Secure said, but warned it is possible the virus will spread. The virus, which spreads mainly through wireless Internet connection, has been found in about 15 variations so far. (Kyodo News)

Vlasic said:
No, months ago a statement was released that cell phone virii were possible.

No... half way through last year it was said it was possible.. a few moths after that it was said there was on. This is saying it has been found in 15 countries. The virus has been around a few months.

Beren said:
No... half way through last year it was said it was possible.. a few moths after that it was said there was on. This is saying it has been found in 15 countries. The virus has been around a few months.
ahh, i see

When I got my first cell phone 5-6 years ago I didn't have voicemail options for a month. I'd call my voicemail and it was some chick in a foreign language babbling to me. I was getting pissed off and kept calling them and they kept saying nothing was wrong. Eventually I had to conference call them from a landline into my voicemail and they said they'd "help me set it up" (they probably thought I was a retard). Obviously, the chick on the phone with me couldn't do anything and says she'll get someone to look into it. A day later I get a call and they said their voicemail server had a virus and I get 3 months free service for my trouble.

This is why we here in the US, with our dinosaur cell tech, are actually much smarter than all those fancypants asians and their advanced phone networks.

#1 It isn't the first cellphone 'virus'. It's just the most widespread so far.
#2 It infects through Bluetooth. If you don't have bluetooth, you're fine.
#3 It isn't malware. It just spreads.

Back