wireless spikes

-KJ-

Veteran XX
Hey, I get spikes with my linksys WMP11 wireless B card like ever 45-60 seconds (This is on XP). I am guessing it is because thats when it searches for a signal, anyone got any ideas for fixing this??!

Two of my friends have this problem, If I remember correctly with old wireless systems certain types of wireless phones could interfere with the signal. (I could be wrong though as I have no idea about most of this shit).

Btw, the phone thing I was talking about is just one way you can get interference. I doubt phones are responsible for it spiking every minute.

none that I've seen, and it's the only way I could fix it

I still have multiple other security measures

Some tech weiner said that it has something to do with windows searching for a signal and it drops it for a second. He told me to change the MTU settings to the settings they are already at, so that was absolutely no help. I wish this fucker would just stay connected.

[RZA]-VeLoCiTy said:
Some tech weiner said that it has something to do with windows searching for a signal and it drops it for a second. He told me to change the MTU settings to the settings they are already at, so that was absolutely no help. I wish this fucker would just stay connected.

Actually you can go to www.dslreports.com and do one of the tests they have. It lets you download a program which changes those settings as well as telling you ideal settings to use.

I think the test you would be looking for is Tweak Test. Although I wouldn't recommend messing with the settings (in the file you can download) unless one of the guys around here give you settings to try with wireless (unless you have already been told some). Changing the settings can give you worse performance if you aren't careful. It's been a while since I tried changing those settings though so I really can't remember much.

This is exactly what happens on my system. Turn off the wireless service that has 802.11 in your service panel after you boot and connect.

I've been having a similar problem (in windows XP), where every 20-30 seconds my connection freezes for 1-1.5 seconds or so. I tried my wireless adapter on a laptop, though, and there was no such lag. The laptop was running windows 98. I'm still trying to figure out the problem :(

Guys .. as long as you arent broadcasting your SSID I wouldnt worry about it..
even war drivers dont care about hidden networks unless you are a business... there are 9 billion other households that have wireless networks that are out in the open broadcasting their info... no1 gives a shit

One of the techs in our IT department at school was telling me about a problem similar to what some of you are describing. Aparently Windows XP has a service (in your services.msc I think) that reauthenticates/reconnects with a wireless network every 45-60 seconds. For networks with any form of authentication this means that you are often disconnected for 2-5 seconds or so. In addition, windows has to search for the connection again.

Unfortunately, it was just mentioned to me briefly so I forget the name of the service. If you can find it though, disabling it won't hurt anything.

I think the name of the service is Wireless Zero Configuration. I only tested briefly, but it seems to clear up the problem. Here's a link to another board post about it: http://www.computing.net/networking/wwwboard/forum/16977.html It seems like it might not be a great idea to disable it permanently, but disabling once it's configured your card seems fine.

edit: "net stop wzcsvc" at the command line stops the service

Last edited:
Back