wireless hard drives

Daredevil

Veteran XX
who's got one

and whats a good one? i hear a lot of people complaining of transfer speeds and write speeds. i'd rather just have a 1-3TB wireless drive in the corner of my room i can stream downloaded movies from, than have to attach to a pc or laptop

thanks

What you want is called a NAS. It's not wireless. It can be accessed over a wireless network.

Wireless hard drive might be the dumbest thing I've ever heard of.

Yo data

Recommend me a NAS setup

Sorry, I stepped away.

This is one I've been looking at recently.
Newegg.com - QNAP TS-412-US Diskless System All-in-one NAS Server with iSCSI for SOHO and Home Users

But practically any NAS box from QNAP or Synology will do what you need. These are diskless systems; you must provide your own hard drives. I'd personally use Western Digital Caviar Black or better (RE4 maybe).

^That QNAP will do RAID5 with 4x 2TB drives for a total volume of 5587.93GB. I think it has the best price-performance ratio out of all the consumer NAS solutions available right now.

Im a simpleton who just wants 2 drives in a mirrored arrangement for redundancy.

Newegg.com - Synology DS212J Diskless System DiskStation Budget-friendly 2-bay NAS Server for Small Office and Home Use
Newegg.com - QNAP TS-212-US Diskless System All-in-one NAS Server with iSCSI for SOHO and Home Users

Both 2-bay diskless, same price @ NewEgg. Synology usually has marginally better performance vs QNAP in equivalent devices. Both of these seem to have the same 1.2GHz Marvell processor.

Also, Western Digital released its new "Red" line aimed at consumer/SMB NAS applications. They're competitively priced, probably worth checking out.

AnandTech liked them.

Last edited:
Back