Wireless access point, same ssid

If I have two access points in range that have the same ssid, how do I manually connect to one if my computer is automatically connecting to the other?

well it's the school's ap. it seems that when connected to a specific AP, the speed is limited. what i want to do is connect to an ap that is either on a different floor or an adjacent building

see if they're operating on different channels and set your nic to only connect to signals on that channel. Theres also a strong possibility that only 1 of those AP's is handling DHCP if they specifically configured to be multiple access points for the same network. however if this is a situation where you're trying to steal neighbors wireless and they both have linksys routers hand have the default ssid of "linksys" then you're best bet is probably the channel route if you have a wireless NIC that lets you do that.

ssid's are supposed to be unique. When you do a site survey and both come up, click on the one you want to connect.

ssid's are supposed to be unique. When you do a site survey and both come up, click on the one you want to connect.
My school does the same thing. It's a huge campus, but they have all the wireless APs set to use the same SSID. It's probably several hundred APs across at least 50 buildings, but it all looks like the same network.

They're all probably just set to bridge mode...

It will automatically connect to the one with the highest signal, as long as your security is the same.

Back