wireless 10x slower then wired

eM.XeNoN

Veteran XV
I have a Dlink DIR-615 with the most recent firmware (2.25). When plugging into my modem directly I get about 25k-30k kbps. When plugging into my router I get about 15k-20k kbps. When using it wirelessly I get about 1500-5000 kbps.

This is with a ps3/iphone/macbook/2 pcs located in various location in the house including next to the router. My old linksys wrt54g got around 8k kbps before I got the 16/2 comcast service and then the router crapped out. Not sure if there is some setting somewhere im missing but 30000 kbps to 2000 kbps on this computer is a HUGE difference. All of the router setting are default.

using vista

Get a new router.. seriously. losing 10Mbps just because you're no longer plugged directly into the modem is fucking insane. of course your math also isn't lining up, because you're saying you have the comcast 16/2 service which means you have 16Mbps down and 2Mbps up.. yet you claim to have gotten 24-30Mbps when connected directly to the modem. Regardless get a new router

Change router settings, check the advanced settings for reducing range for better signal or if you're not already getting an excellent signal, increase range. Try also setting it in unfriendly mode (20/40Hz mode) if you don't have other wireless networks or high priority 2.4ghz devices.

sigh new router tried two d-link dir-615's now a TRENDnet tew-633gr newest firmware.

With comcast speedboost my speedtests come up fast. in that 25k-28k range but not long term (I think its the first 20 megs or something).

Plugged into wireless router and getting 25k down
Wirelessly getting 8k down. Same exact settings only changing wires (its not the wires they are the same ones giving me the 25k) set in wireless G/B mode as well as n/g/b mode. This damn thing is driving me insane and I'll paypal someone $20 if they can get my damn wireless speeds to like 15-20k down (counting the speedboost thing). know a NIC will help this computer but not my ps3s/xboxs macbook

Back