WIN 98 Problem

Messiah

Veteran X
My friends dads comp is running windows 98 but ever since he installed a norton antivirus it get a fatal ex at windows and wont start. when i booted the comp i saw that config.sys was corrupted. he has many important files on that comp that have to be saved. I cant get into the system at all.

what should i do? is it possible to reinstall win98 without certain files getting erased?

please help.

How much space is used on the drive? Perhaps you can use a bootable CD rom / disk and copy files across a network?

Is there ANYWAY of getting the files besides putting it in another comp?

You can install win98 over the top of current system without fear of losing his important files. You should also be able to boot into safemode and not have config.sys loaded, and then retrieve the files.

You can install win98 over the top of current system without fear of losing his important files. You should also be able to boot into safemode and not have config.sys loaded, and then retrieve the files.

Just don't format or delete a partition. However, since there is a father involved, the chances of this are highly probable.

How do i boot up in safe mod?

just so u know boot off a boot disk copy the win98 folder off of the the win98 cd to the hard disk and reinstall....it wont erase their files but it will run a check disk and fix the errors on the drive and u can install off of the cd drive....c:\win98\setup.exe

Back