[WiFi] WEP really is a joke

DiLLuSioN

Veteran XX
I always see a lot of networks around when connecting to my own router, and a lot of them only using WEP encryption. I've always heard it was very unsafe and anyone with enough time would definately crack it. Well it's true, I just did it to my neighbour in a mere 2.5 hours. (yes I know it's illegal) Next time I see him I'm telling him to switch to WPA2 .

I really don't understand why WEP is still included as a form of security if this is all it takes.

Discuss

People around here generally have some type of secured network because all the ISP's have limits on how much you're allowed to download on a monthly basis. If you don't have caps, there's less need to secure it obviously.

Vista won't even let you use WEP without an additional security certificate, and really, 2.5 hours? I've seen someone crack two WEP encrypted routers in about 30 seconds.

Vista won't even let you use WEP without an additional security certificate, and really, 2.5 hours? I've seen someone crack two WEP encrypted routers in about 30 seconds.
I couldn't get the packet injection to work so I just kept it running and got the result in 2.5 hours..
edit: and the cracking only took 30 secs, it was the gathering of data packets to crack that took time

Last edited:
Yeah, that's basically it, but the second step wouldn't work on any network I tried, so I couldn't amp up the traffic.

Back