Widescreen Gamers

marantz said:
HDTV is always 16:9, not 16:10.

It's a matter of opinion. Try having that argument with the manufacturers who insist that 16:10 is indeed an HDTV aspect ratio.

I see where you're coming from - but good luck trying to change how these things are marketed. ;)

marantz said:
i absolutely LOVE my 2405FPW. it's probably the best computer-related purchase i've ever made.

HDTV is always 16:9, not 16:10.

the only place you see 16:10 monitors is in the computing world, which only adds to the confusion people already have with the computing and A/V fields. the computer industry was so fucking retarded for embracing 16:10 instead of making all native widescreen displays have the same aspect ratio (16:9). :sigh:
*ahem*
There is a reason 16:10 has been embraced in the computer world, and that reason is video editing. It is very helpful to have a little extra space above and below full-res, full-screen video, for toolbars and palletes and such.

Even on a widescreen TV you only get 1:85:1 so since most content is 2.35:1 you end up with letterboxing much of the time even on that nice new HDTV, so what's the harm of a little letterboxing on your monitor? Since computers monitors are used for things other than video playback a majority of the time, the extra pixels make a lot more sense.

16:10 would really be 8:5 if you wanted to express it in proper ratios. :p:

As far as I know, all games I've played so far support widescreen. Quake2, quake3, Doom, Doom2, Everquest all support widescreen. You just have to change the resolution in the ini files.

just got my 2405, you get properties on your battlefield 2 shortcut and make sure it looks like this:
C:\Games\Battlefield 2 Demo\BF2.exe" +menu 1 +fullscreen 1 +szx 1920 +szy 1200

And it'll go widescreen, probably ofn from earlier in the thread

CapnPyro said:
just got my 2405, you get properties on your battlefield 2 shortcut and make sure it looks like this:
C:\Games\Battlefield 2 Demo\BF2.exe" +menu 1 +fullscreen 1 +szx 1920 +szy 1200

And it'll go widescreen, probably ofn from earlier in the thread
So I just imagined bf1942 in widescreen at 1920 by 1200.

I almost detonated right in my boxers, but then I realized that it would likely be a slideshow.

If it's not -- I hate you. You have no conception of HOW MUCH.

mr_luc said:

I almost detonated right in my boxers, but then I realized that it would likely be a slideshow.

All these people got to see it at UVALAN. :)

Creative%20Setup.jpg

Joe, the Creative rep, was running it smoothly on a 2405. It was hot.

mr_luc said:

Runs fine at work, I think it'll run fine at home too. I have a 6800 Ultra in both machines :D

Had the monitor shipped to work, can't wait to set it up on the home desk :bigthumb:

And yes there's a mess in my pants, and I think the other IT guys checking out my setup had some tent shorts goin too

Back