Who really cares if Tribes dies?

Zio

Veteran X
By the sounds of this community as a whole, it seems to me that the majority of community members here would rather see "Tribes" die than survive. If the community didn't want it to die, I would think the trolls would be a little more supportive of the game they love regardless which of the 3 titles they think is the best or the worse.

Here's a newsflash... No matter what game you think is the best, or which one you think sucks the most, we have to face the fact that this game and this community is dying quite rapidly. I do not see a positive outlook for another "Tribes" game ever after the disaster that is T:V.

And if you are one of the T1 or T2 lovers, you have to realize those games are even more dead than T:V.

I love "Tribes". I've spent many years playing this game and I've made many friendships & enemies along the way because of it. I'm really saddened to see our community cannibalize itself the way it has and it's only adding up to it's eventual demise not to mention that there is nothing else worth playing that comes close to Tribes.

I'm not an advocate of Tribes Vengeance, T1, or T2. I'm an advocate of "Tribes" itself. Every game has it's flaws, nothing or no one is perfect, but because I've positioned myself as a Tribes player, I will and have played what I've been given, and I will do my best to keep it alive.

But I'm beginning to realize that it will not be long and there will be no community, no competition and no Tribes game worth playing. So I ask this question...

Who really cares if Tribes dies anyway?

Zio said:
But I'm beginning to realize that it will not be long and there will be no community, no competition and no Tribes game worth playing. So I ask this question...

Who really cares if Tribes dies anyway?

dont ask that here...

ask that of the millions of folks who've played tribes but what rather play something else.

this isnt some romantic, dramatic thing for them. it's just a game. there are a dozen new games every week...

Last I checked, T1 and T2 were doing pretty well number-wise against T:V... Not to mention that competition there has ballooned like crazy since T:V has been released.

Celios said:
Last I checked, T1 and T2 were doing pretty well number-wise against T:V... Not to mention that competition there has ballooned like crazy since T:V has been released.

So true, and thats with games made 4 and 6 years ago!! lol

Zio said:
Have you read these forums at all, and seen the playercounts in the most active Tribes game lately???

# of aliases seen in the past 31 days (csports.net)

* Tribes 58,620
* Tribes2 22,291
* Tribes Vengeance 15,682

that's about the same total # of tribes players as you would see over the past 2-3 years. obviously, if you count public beta/trial of TV there was a huge spike in numbers but it's a stable communty.

same goes for a lot of the old 1997-99 generation games. these communities have diehards who arent budging. even quake2 still has a very steady population.

Celios said:

Obviously, you are mistaken. Here are the facts as of today...

TWL ladder...

Tribes

10 vs 10 CTF ladder 10 active teams

Tribes 2

7 vs 7 CTF ladder 22 active teams

Tribes Vengeance

10 vs 10 ladder 39 active teams

Me ... for one

I've had nothing be fun since I started playing... I purchased all three games when they came out, I just never had time to seriously play Tribes I or II when they were released (life gets in the way some times). But have been playing Vengeance since the first demo came out.

Every new community made map that gets released puts a little more life back into the game. Watching Zio make a map from start to finish has been enlightening. You really have to love the game to put that much work into it.

As long as there are new maps and mods for the game being released by and for the community.... Well.... I ain't heard no fat lady!

And another thing... If there is one thing that I have discovered about this community...

I believe that you will not go quietly into the sunset, you will not vanish without a battle, Tribes is going to live on, it will survive… with Vengeance? (I hope I'm having to much darn fun) or with another Tribes 3? Who knows? Till then just play what we got. You may be surprised... you just might enjoy it.

rofl

Hey man, it's cool that you Clan Cobra dudes care so much about Tribes. We all do. The community still seems to be here for the most part regardless of T:V's failure.

The horse you have bet on failed to launch from the starting gate.

Advice: Find a new horse

The game seems to have been made for 10-12 year olds... move on man. T:V is a lost cause.

Start supporting Legends or something, and give up the ghey T:V crusade...

I care about Tribes, but could give a rats ass about T:V, like it's makers could give a rats ass about its players.

Last edited:
I think we can blame the crew and publisher behind the latest tribes release, for the current state of the community.

I play around 5-10 T2 cluster mixeds every week, so i dont think Tribes is dead.

T.V is not Tribes in my opinion...I think the majority shares that opinion about T.V
Statistically, the game is a failure, a fuckup.

Just because 150 players think it's fun doesnt mean the remaining 4500 players should play the game
I'm not gonna support Tribes through T.V.

For me, Legends is the perfect tribes alternative.

Edit; Since when did ladders/leagues represent ALL activity in a game?

Last edited:
DudeofDeath said:
rofl

Hey man, it's cool that you Clan Cobra dudes care so much about Tribes. We all do. The community still seems to be here for the most part regardless of T:V's failure.

The game seems to have been made for 10-12 year olds... move on man. T:V is a lost cause.

ROFL.

You don't get it. This has nothing to do with T:V specifically.

This thread is about Tribes as a whole and "it's" demise.

There are no more horses to ride, and Legends is not and never will be "Tribes".

Tribes 1 is actually growing and I see no time when it will die.

I refuse to play crappy games like T:V, and if its so important that tribes lives why doesn't everyone come back and play t1, a game everyone agrees is decent... then again there are so many noobs and idiots that went to play T:V that I'm kind of happy it turned out this way.

T1 has a very closed competitive community, and T:V has all of the idiots and noobs with a few good players thrown in the mix.

If anything a game that has lasted 7 years so far, will last another 7 :)

Zio said:
Obviously, you are mistaken. Here are the facts as of today...
Okay, get your facts straight: I'm not saying that T1 or T2 competition is bigger than T:V (yet), I'm saying it's grown by leaps and bounds from what it was when T:V was released.

I don't remember exact figures for everything, but I'll use the T2 7 vs 7 classic ladder as an example: it had ~8 teams just a few weeks ago. Now that's gone up to ~22 ACTIVE teams. Don't tell me you don't consider that a sizeable increase considering it happened over the course of just several weeks.

A lot of T1/T2 ladders have been experiencing similar growth. Once again, I'm not saying they are bigger than T:V yet (though if you do the math and add up teams across various mods and compare them to T:V's single ladder, they ARE bigger) but if they continue to grow as they have been, they'll easily eclipse T:V in no time. :shrug:

Plastic said:
Tribes 1 is actually growing and I see no time when it will die.

If anything a game that has lasted 7 years so far, will last another 7 :)

Zio said:
And if you are one of the T1 or T2 lovers, you have to realize those games are even more dead than T:V.

Zio said:
TWL ladder...

Tribes

10 vs 10 CTF ladder 10 active teams

Tribes 2

Tribes Vengeance

10 vs 10 ladder 39 active teams

The above says it all for me. Competition is where it's at, and if there is no competition, see ya!

Last edited:
DudeofDeath said:
rofl

I care about Tribes, but could give a rats ass about T:V, like it's makers could give a rats ass about its players.
How nice.

Unfortunately, the game will not survive on the current playerbase. It simply won't.

The only people who even have HEARD about Legends are in this community, and even then those are a small percentage of the current playerbase.

Legends, as good as it may be, is not the future of Tribes.

The only people that think Tribes is dying are the people playing T:V, because it is dying.

Thankfully, T:V isn't Tribes.

Celios said:

T2 has as many players as T:V. Its not doing well numbers wise compared to T:V.

Back