When both sticks of RAM installed, memory errors occur. Each single stick works fine.

OtakuMark

Veteran X
So, I have a computer that, when two 1GB sticks of RAM are inserted into both slots (a matching pair of kingston memory), I get memory errors in testing. If either stick of RAM is inserted by itself into either slot and tested, they work just fine.

The error the testing shows is only for whatever stick is in the first DIMM slot, and it lists "Coupled bits detected" as part of the error

This is a XFX LGA775 motherboard with the latest BIOS

I bet dollars to donuts one of those dimms is bad. I don't think there's any way of troubleshooting this aside from trying new dimms or the same set in a different board.

(kingston is crap, btw. The desktop side of the shop I work for stopped ordering from them.)

What are the exact and full specs of your memory sticks please?? Also exact and full specs of your mobo: 780i or 790 or what?? thanks..

Your mobo has 4 dimms right?? So have you tried the other paired dimms?? ==> from your original post it is not quite implied that you did this, so I am asking...

Last edited:
This is a 630i board, two slots for memory, a total of two dimms. Both dimms have been tried independently in both slots and have passed memory tests in a testing program (PC Check), but together they both fail the tests and blue screen randomly in Windows. Single sticks are A-OK

Are your Kingston memory sticks dual channel or single channel?? According to the specs at the Mobo Manufacturer site, your board uses single channel memory ===> possible conflict??

Your CPU is not overheating is it; is the heatsink and cooling all OK??

Last edited:
Are your Kingston memory sticks dual channel or single channel?? According to the specs at the Mobo Manufacturer site, your board uses single channel memory ===> possible conflict??

Your CPU is not overheating is it; is the heatsink and cooling all OK??

Ahhh, okay. It very well may be the dual channel vs. single channel problem! The kingston sticks were plain ol' ValueRAM, but they come in a two stick combo pack.

Back