What's the overall benefit of buying a macbook?

can anyone with 1st hand exp say if gaming in windows-on-mac works well?

gaming works just as well on both osx and xp on the mac. no hiccups, no slowdowns no problems at all. switching between the 2 different os's is easy and everything else works like a champ.

as for updating the os... its never been as easy on a pc to update anything as it is on the mac. apple has made everything smooth and pain free in every aspect.

depends, as of right now parrells cant do full hardware video so forget gaming, but if you just need to run something thats not too video intensive its great. If you wanna play games reboot into windows. Did i mention how fast OSX on Intel macs boots? Its crazy fast, so rebooting isnt a huge deal

Now you can walk around campus with it sticking out of your one shoulder strap bag w/ your ipod headphones coming out of the bag as well. You'll be sipping on coffee and wearing tight jeans and sneakers, a zip up hoodie with a cool design on the left breast. Your sweet hemp stocking cap will hold your black rimmed glasses in place as you walk in a straight line reading a poetry book.

Now you can walk around campus with it sticking out of your one shoulder strap bag w/ your ipod headphones coming out of the bag as well. You'll be sipping on coffee and wearing tight jeans and sneakers, a zip up hoodie with a cool design on the left breast. Your sweet hemp stocking cap will hold your black rimmed glasses in place as you walk in a straight line reading a poetry book.

you're just as bad as a mac fanboy :D

how did you kn.. oh wait. i dont read poetry

The OS is really what's confounding me. If I will be able to do everything on Vista-why not just wait for Vista? =/

Also looking to buy a MBP. Here's a good rumor site.
Mac Buyer's Guide: Know When to Buy Your Mac
Appears the product cycle is in the middle. Supposedly, the next version of the OS will be much better, so will Bootcamp. Looks like the next update will happen around June from what I'm hearing.
Think about this, iPhone, OSX 10.5, new Bootcamp, and new MBP all come out in June. The only thing the iPhone lacks in the G3 network, so people can surf broadband from a laptop. But you could get a broadband card and do it that way. If you buy now, you'll get everything set up, then see the new stuff come out in June and wish you had waited. Save up because a fully loaded MBP is 3.5K after you add the warranty.

^^^ Oink has Mac Apps

Last edited:
I'm definitely sticking with windows because I want my laptop environment to be as similar as possible to my desktop environment, and I still use my desktop for gaming.

Check out Tablet PC Reviews.

When I use my tablet pc at school, it's in laptop mode 90% of the time. I can type much faster than I can write, and it's much more legible. I have word and excel on the laptop, so that's where all my notes go.

In fact, if there were some way to draw freehand in word xp or excel xp, I wouldn't even use the tablet-note-taking application. I'd just hand-draw what I had to/what was faster to (like graphs or math equations) and type everything else around it.

I made a thread about upgrading a few weeks ago, but I'm thinking I may hold off to see what new laptops come out over the summer.
This is correct as far as tablets go, I have one and they are great for math type courses and science, or anything that involves a lot of specialty symbols. If you dont have many of these classes though then just get a regular laptop as you will be able to type notes faster then you can write them

The OS is really what's confounding me. If I will be able to do everything on Vista-why not just wait for Vista? =/
Ilife, FinalCut, and adapture. All excellent programs if you use mac and do graphic editing/video editing.

Also, AdobePhotoshop CS3 is universal and theres a beta at the "stores" now.

There isn't an "overall" benefit of buying any piece of hardware, unless it's a significant improvement over your current hardware. If you like Macs and OS X, buy a macbook. If you don't, save yourself between $300 and $500 and buy a PC laptop. It's all asthetics and workflow anymore, and the differences are subjective.

FF is buggy. freezes a lot and i've had problems with it. the only problem is, i don't think safari and camino save the windows you had open like FF does.

Back