What's the deal with microwaving multiple things?

Legend

Veteran XX
I'm a food-preparing fail slowly becoming Gordon Ramsay, and one thing I don't get is the science of microwaving more than one thing at once.

I've been repeatedly told that if you microwave more than one thing, you must increase the cooking time. For example, if you microwave a potato for 10 mins then for two potatoes you'd go to like... 15 mins. Or something.

But what's the logic here? Do you add half the time for each additional item or what? How long would I use for five potatoes? And does it change depending on whether we're talking potatoes or meat?

I've asked like three people at work and none can give me an answer, and also my internet searching fails.

Oh my. :(

I guess it depends upon the water content of the food, and the amount of matter absorbing microwave radiation.

firstly it depends on your oven, dude
the higher the power the less time you need to newk somethin for

yes you have to increase time per volume

and the amount of time to increase varies on the moisture content of the food. higher mc% will require less time to heat up

look in your microwave manual for details it usually says

also why am i being so nice today i should've said you're an idiot and if you can't figure out how to use a microwave you should just stick your head in the microwave and set it for FOREVER lol jk....

first off, if you want to be a cook stop using the microwave.

Let things thaw in the fridge or the counter

Ziploc.JPG

Skittlebrew tip of the day:

bacon cooks well in a microwave. You can't tell the difference between cooking in the wave or in a skillet. Just put however many pieces you want between a couple sheets of paper towel to eliminate the mess.

:lol: Thanks guys, especially issues.

I am genuinely learning to cook, but using the microwave is a reasonable way of speeding up making a baked potato when I'm starving. I microwave it for 10 mins, then add the olive oil/salt/pepper and bake it for a further 30 in the oven — comes out superb.

Abolishing the microwave is why I'm learning to cook, but it has very limited uses. I was just wondering about this that's all. :sunny:

I went a year without owning a microwave when I moved out.

I own one now, but I still tend not to use it. I make it a point to buy things that require a stove to cook.

Back