What is your opinion of alternate energy

geothermal energy is up to about 5% of the 7% of us energy we produce using renewable resources.

I fucked up earlier. Wind is 4% of the 7%, solar is 1% of the 7%. Hydro is 42%, and the rest is biomass.

Anyway, geo isnt huge because America doesnt have the right stuff to support it. hawaii has 1, utah has 2, and cali and nevada have 15 each. Iceland, new Zealand, and Guatemala have plants as well, with iceland and nz getting a lot of energy from them

The power company can buy wattage from you, if you produce more than you consume. Not exactly sure how it works.

*edit*, and I mean it wouldn't work on ALL houses. You'd probably need a south-facing roof surface and other criteria. But, yeah, self-powering houses would be badass.

The 'buyback' of power works two ways, you either get a credit, or if your states utility allows it they will buy it back, and in some states they will even buy it back at a profit to you. I think there are only like 2-3 states that do that though.

If nothing else, it is easy for every homeowner to put on atleast a good grid tied system so that their power usage is greatly diminished and they even get credits to their existing bill.

Between photovoltaic systems and solar water heaters, a lot of them are paid for with large incentitves and even grant. Wind systems also get a decent little incentive in many states.

I thought i saw something about some new houses in cali being built with solar cells on the roof that were actually producing more energy then they used and the power company owed them money.

ya saw a few things on that. bill nye science guy for example has panels on his house, and he showed his electric meter which was running *backwards*

the whole deal is one of those things where it's just stupid not to move forward, but people won't until forced to.

who doesn't want free energy?

it's a matter of adoption reaching the point where the tech advances, and it will as the user base grows.

Same with wind. In theory, once you get a wind turbine up, with the cost of normal maintenance you've got free power for the rest of your life.

wind turbines kill birds, and are loud as fuck. Many places arent windy enough to make it viable. On the coast where they plan on putting a major amount of turbines in the water down in Texas, they have to switch the direction of the fans every 12 hours to take advantage of the sea breeze/land breeze stuff

Many wind farms are out in open water. Germany has a few, i believe there is something in the gulf of mexico as well.

i just can't see why anybody would be against nuclear energy

it's incredibly safe and doesn't pollute anywhere near as much as the other methods

The common individual imagines "death and destruction' when you mention the word "nuclear".

wind turbines kill birds, and are loud as fuck. Many places arent windy enough to make it viable.

I thought they debunked the whole "kill birds" thing as crap?

I'd imagine "loud as fuck" is subjective. I can't imagine a fan on a stick has a necessity of being loud... especially in comparison to other power generation methods. Again, I think technology would be able to address this pretty easily.

There is a wind farm near me that seems to be doing well. The same land that currently grows corn can be used to generate wind power and still support crops.

Not sure where in this country they don't have wind, but around here there's a lot.

you need a lot of wind movement that is consistent (so always windy) to generate enough energy. When the turbine turns, and theres say...20 turbines, they make a pretty loud ...backgroundy noise.

Wind turbines came under flak cuz one of them was responsible for killing an endangered bird (theres 40 of em, one got hit by a blade lols) forget the name of the bird though

Bird loving in the USA:

2006 per capita egg consumption: 256

256 x 300,000,000 = 76.8 Billion eggs per year = 210 million eggs per day, or just under 2500 eggs every second.

But those are eggs. We haven't started to count our 'chickens' yet. We don't do that until they are hatched, and at least big enough for 'wings', which now, dammit, I made myself hungry for, and will have to run out to get some for dinner...

"US Slaugherthouses now kill 30 million birds every day..."

Christmas is coming up. Those 30 million/day can be damn thankful they can't fly, or else they'd need to avoid all our windmills here in Bird Loving USA...

Cages on windmills. Actually, there is something to that. More expensive to build, more comples, more rube goldbergish, and uglier than those pretty slender rotor only designs, but a shrouded windmill with an outer co-annular stator and an inner rotor will extract almost as much energy for the same frontal area as a rotor of the same diameter. Not as much, but more than just the same as the smaller rotor only. Smaller rotor, less birds getting whacked, but stator cascade is denser to be effective, so the dodos have to avoid hitting non-moving 'blades' if/when they decide to fly 'through' the stator cascade as opposed to threading the bullseye and flying through the shrouded rotor.

But, if they do, we can just put hot sauce on them, and serve them up. Maybe that's where 'suicide' wings come from?

How much more expensive do we want to make our windmills, just so we can ignore the fact that we're killing 30 million chickens every day and washing them down with beer?

The misinformation in this thread oozes forth like a wave of stupidity.

I always love these kinds of replies. They say:

'You guys are dummies. I know you are dummies because I know everything, and you are all wrong...but BECAUSE this is a discussion board, i will keep my knowledge secret. I pwn.'

I'd like to be proven wrong on things i said, since he wont finger out anyone.

The only things i'm iffy on are the payback on solar cells (since i beleive they are actually 9 years before you break even on your investment) and new age turbines, as i'm citing material concerning the west texas wind farms

hydrogen. end of thread

nimKid.jpg

juggernaughts fat wife would make a valuable fuel source if she was burned

her fat would probably burn for a couple years

Back