What is the universe expanding into?

The universe isn't expanding into anything. Imagine a 2D universe on the surface of a balloon. As you blow up the balloon, any 2 points on it grow farther apart and the surface area increases, but your 2D world still just encompasses the same surface of the balloon. Its similar in concept but more involved in actuality.

Sorry, any part of a balloon is in 3d.

The universe isn't expanding into anything. Imagine a 2D universe on the surface of a balloon. As you blow up the balloon, any 2 points on it grow farther apart and the surface area increases, but your 2D world still just encompasses the same surface of the balloon. Its similar in concept but more involved in actuality.

Well that's what I usually use as my visual aid for a universe, but you'd notice that the 2d surface of the balloon moves outward into the air as you increase the size. Now that I think about it though, that'd be incorporating a 3rd dimension.

So you have a curved 2d space expanding into a 3rd dimension.

If we have a curved 3d space (the universe) and it's expanding, must it be expanding into a 4th spacial dimension (hence proving another dimension)?

If I remember correctly this is how it is explained in a Brief History of Time.

I thought the universe wasn't actually expanding?

We can only see further and further into it as time passes because it's taken this long for light from those places to reach us?

wow, what a dumb explanation

according to that theory everything is relative in both size AND distance

a 1" by 1" square on a balloon will get much much bigger as the balloon blows up, i don't think everything in the universe is getting exponentially bigger as the universe expands

a 1" by 1" square on a balloon will get much much bigger as the balloon blows up, i don't think everything in the universe is getting exponentially bigger as the universe expands

It was a simplified explanation for the layperson. The strong nuclear force holds objects together as the universe expands. Since planets and stars are infinitesimal on the scale of the universe they can be said to be points.

Actually his answer was quite good; everything does get further apart.

Everything, that is, except those which are bound together by forces (eg, the solar system or your computer). You can account for that by slightly modifying his example: Consider a balloon expanding (representing the universe) and two pennies glued to the balloon (representing you and your computer). As the universe expands, everything gets further from one another, but you don't get fatter, as there are forces keeping your shape as it is.

You're thinking about it the wrong way. It sounds like you're picturing the points as dots made by a marker or something, which obviously results in the analogy not making sense. Instead just think of them as singular points representing the locations of stellar objects, and nothing more than that.

The reason for the balloon analogy is mainly to explain that the universe isn't expanding out from a single point -- it's more as if the space itself between all of the objects is expanding (AFAIK.)

Well that's what I usually use as my visual aid for a universe, but you'd notice that the 2d surface of the balloon moves outward into the air as you increase the size. Now that I think about it though, that'd be incorporating a 3rd dimension.

So you have a curved 2d space expanding into a 3rd dimension.

If we have a curved 3d space (the universe) and it's expanding, must it be expanding into a 4th spacial dimension (hence proving another dimension)?
Basically, yes.

I thought the universe wasn't actually expanding?

We can only see further and further into it as time passes because it's taken this long for light from those places to reach us?
The Universe is expanding and the visible Universe is actually getting smaller because the rate of expansion exceeds the speed of light.

Logic isn't allowed here.
Except that logic is entirely faulty.

Nuclear and gravitational forces hold objects together for now. One possible end of the universe scenario is the Big Rip in which the rate of expansion reaches such a high level as to overcome gravity which will tear apart galaxies, stars, and planets, and then the nuclear forces to tear apart atoms themselves.

Also this gets asked all the time: Curious About Astronomy: What is the universe expanding into?

Back