Well....opinions can change I guess

Total

Veteran X
My interest in the game has been waning over the past two months. The retail release was cool at first and then became, well, motonous for various reasons that I just could not put my finger on.

Played in a match with (MA) last night and kinda resparked my interest.

We played three maps. Two new and one retail release.

Stormdance - A variant of RiverDance from T2. Map maker made some changes to the terrain and base layout, but it was still just as much of a bitch if not more than the original.

RollerCoaster - Same ole RollerCoaster. Actually reminded me more of RC in T1 than T2. No Shrikes and just one pod per side. The terrain is so slick that the pods were good for base D only.

Fort - retail release map. All I can do on this POS is cap.

In the first two maps though, it felt like Tribes again. Not because they were remakes of old maps, but because they had terrain and base layouts that are what the retail was missing - Tribes maps!

The retail release maps lost the core of Tribes content and focused on dueling it out rather than multi-tasking to keep offensive pressure, defensive posture, and getting the flag home. It was alot more difficult to base rape in this match than I have ever seen it. HO, more often than not, was sent over to clear off the flag stand rahter than focus on their base. In a ten man team, we were sending over 4 HO. HO's would resuit to light as needed to give a hand to the capper.

IG/VUG should have released some remakes of old maps with release instead of going for all new maps that lacked the Tribes enviroment. They have the core elements of Tribes in the players and such, but left out the enviroment itself. I had heard people say that the new maps made it feel like Tribes again and I just figured they were trying to revive a skeleton. Well, I was wrong and they were right.

Onle one of the retail maps is semi-worthy to be called Tribes. All but that one are more suitable for arena maps, but blow for teambased CTF. The newer maps coming out by the community map makers are what is Tribes.

Played Beggar's run and it IS Beggar's Run. Just as fun as it always was. Dangerous Crossing is just as fun. Gigant with no vehicles and the bases 850meters apart. One of those Defense oriented maps that, once the offense cracks the D, they can cause alot of havoc for the opposing team.

I just hope it's not too little to late.

I fully agree with what you've written. I'm not sure if I have much to add.

Here's to hoping for a good adoption of the map pack, whenever it's finally released. That and the comp mod, assuming the "final" version is well done, which I'm sure it will be.

Last edited:
:satan:
Do I get to say "I told you so" now?

Not that I'd rub it in or anything... seeing as how I was saying community made maps were gonna make this game since... oh, I donno, RELASE! ;)

Just kidding. Relax.
Put down the spinfuser.

Actually, there's a couple very good reasons why community made stuff is likely to be more tribes like than the retail.

1) Many of us community folks have been around Tribes a lot longer than anyone at IG.
2) Community mappers aren't constrained by the same stringent rules and deadlines that are imposed when you are working professional. Example: IrritAnt's Gigant blows away all the retail maps... he did that one on his own.
3) I'm involved. :p (Ok, I deserve a slap for that one... who's first?)

Familiarity is key to anything we do in life. We all have comfort zones and for us Tribes players, we all want to have that zone and lets face it, map remakes are a great thing. I have not been disappointed with Scar, Roller, DC, RD or Storm.

Keep it up guys.. :D

Let's not forget that Re-makes are not the only way to go. Maps can be "Tribes-like" and yet entirely original. I'd point to Broken_Link's Pipe Park as a prime example.
I'd point to Sabbath too, but that would be tooting my own horn.
Dash is cool.
Fiegn is shaping up.
Extinct Paradice is getting lots of good nosies.
Blood Velt dominates.
and all Hail Temerity!

Room ta move and improve.

Last edited:
no "Hail Temerity" any more bit? i think its the most tribish new map out :( possibly vying for first place vs blood veldt.

as long as the grapple stays ingame it will never feel like tribes. no matter what maps.

and once the grapple is removed, people will realize that skiing sucks with no air and ground control, so this has to be changed too...and here you go with an endless list of changing, chain reaction :)

I can adapt to the change in physics.Hell T2 physics were alot different than T1 physics. I agree though, the grapple needs to go.

Some proporters will say "Get better and learn to adjust"

I agree on that and have adjusted to it, but it doesn't feel right in Tribes. It's better suited in a console game than in Tribes.

I also agree that a map doesn't have to be a remake to be Tribes. Highlands would actually be more of a Tribes map if they spread the bases out a little. Fort is alright in concept, but needs alot of tweaking.

Gigant rocks - hands down.

I could deal with this game as is if they took the grapplerout and sped up the disc a little. Just as long as I don't have to play those blasted retail maps. That's what's been keeping me from playing lol!

Santa's DX has small distance between bases, easy to rape and flag is relatively easy to grab. All characteristics of T:V maps. Really not all that different. I think part of it is the familiarity with the maps.

Junk, Cavern, Utopia, Spiridan are maps to show off the new grapple. Emerald and Fort have really close bases and tiny hills. Winterlake and Arid have more of a bowl shape and Tropics and Isle have decent sized hills but its really just one hill between bases. Highlands has the large hills and the deep valleys we are used to but they are on the sides of the map. None of the bases in the maps are large or in-depth.

That for the most part is why the maps aren't traditional Tribes. I enjoy Carvern and Spiridan and they are needed to showcase the new tools. I just think they could have had more variety in the retail maps. Not drown out the old school map style for a couple too many grapple happy maps.

Total said:
I agree on that and have adjusted to it, but it doesn't feel right in Tribes. It's better suited in a console game than in Tribes.

Yeah grapple is more suited for a console game :rolleyes:

All that control those joypads give you...

Hey... BTW, kudos for being wise enough to allow your opinion to be altered. Takes a brain to be able to see that you might have not been right, and it takes guts to admit to it.

I suspect there's a lot of folks 'round these parts that hate on T:V because they simply don't want to enjoy it.

actually there's not a single map where you can't effectively use the grapple.. learning to use the grapple is one thing but tuning it as a skillful art is another, I still run into people who've been playing tv for a while who are quite surprised just how versatile the grapple is

being something that is not so easy to pick up and takes alot of practice and precision is very tribes-esque I would think, new is not always bad either until you look at the rambo vehicles

also you could never skillfuly use the grapple on a console unless you were using a mouse and could actually see what the hell you were doing in that 300x400 resolution

yea, you wanna see grapple in action, talk to the guys from }I{ ... one of their folks was on 5150 last night just making a mockery out of the opposing LD... threw flag in the air, grapple around a building, catch it on the other side. my eyes were wide open at that.

Back