Water Skiing

Alright, I know it's possible to ski across the water on maps like Winter Lake and such if you hit the water at a shallow enough angle while going fairly fast.

My question is, is there a difference between skiing across the water and skipping across the water?

I ask because as of release, whenever I hit the water at a shallow angle, my character basically skips across the water like when you throw a flat stone properly at water. It's kind of a neat effect and all, but just curious if there is a way to smoothly ski aross the water?

If you hit it at a really shallow angle you can just ski straight across. It seems like the faster you go, the more likely you are to skip. Skipping is probably better anyways because you can pull some easy altitude out of it.

I'm pretty sure that the shallower the angle, the more smoothly you skim across the water. There are some very smooth land-to-water transitions in Isle that can cause you to skim very gently across the water without much vertical motion. In Caverns however, both water transitions are quite abrubt, which causes you to bounce more than skim. The bouncing effect is nice in Cavern cause you can treat the water as a trampoline.

Skiing on water is easiest on Winterlake IMHO... there's the pond off to one side with a nice shallow slope into it. I love the skipping trick especially in Cavern. Nothing like hitting the water at just the right angle, getting a speed boost *and* pushed back into the air.

Back