Wall jumping

[57th]cneal

Veteran X
Now before you say that Tribes has jets so why the need of wall jumping? Well, it's not to replace the jets, it's to add freedom of direction to the jets. Jetting can only give so much movement. The movement that is not possible is jetting in the opposite direction while keeping a constant speed. So, how do you combat this? Simple, do a little Matrix and push back off the wall. Speed stays and all of the sudden, you're jetting back from where you came from. Anyway, since UT2k3 already has wall jumping all that would be needed is the flying part.

Well I could see how that would help getting out of the base in IR(T1) up those ramps that do a 180 on you. But other than that most of the time people arent hard core bumping into walls unless they mess up a ski route, which in that case you dont really need to jump off a wall anyway because you are now just waiting to die.

i guess it would be helpful in maps like JC where you can bounce out, but what about maps like RD where your going to hit a HoF?

If the door was closed on the RD flag stand, you could go straight into the flag, hit the wall, walljump and head back to base.

BTW, all my ideas that I've brought up should or are built into the Unreal engine. Walljumping comes from UT2k3, forcefiends that you can bounce off from U2 map Na-Koja Abad and the barrels can be found on a U2 test map called TestWeapons.un2

[57th]cneal said:
If the door was closed on the RD flag stand, you could go straight into the flag, hit the wall, walljump and head back to base.

BTW, all my ideas that I've brought up should or are built into the Unreal engine. Walljumping comes from UT2k3, forcefiends that you can bounce off from U2 map Na-Koja Abad and the barrels can be found on a U2 test map called TestWeapons.un2

These things aren't built into the Unreal engine. These are proprietary things developed for those specific games that used the Unreal Engine.

Shinigami said:
Define "useless." How hard do you think this is to add anyway?
Useless as in WTF would the point of this be in a tribes game?

Tell me one time this would be useful, other than when you fuck up your cap routes.

Ideas aren't "proprietary" to computer games. I'm sure this could easily be added.

It seems like a reasonable idea to me. I'm generally in favor of adding things that expand the movement capabilities of the game while also deepening the skill curve.

By proprietary, I meant they were developed for that game at that time, and that the code for such an action is not "built in" to the engine. Therefore, the unique physics and code that goes with that wall jump will never appear in a game using different physics and code. What you make will only imitate.

But hey, feel free to try and chastise me for using the word proprietary in a way you don't like.

Last edited:
Void|deadjawa said:
Useless as in WTF would the point of this be in a tribes game?

Tell me one time this would be useful, other than when you fuck up your cap routes.

Have you ever seen anyone disc themselves off the wall in the sb flag stand so as to get out before the hof can md him? Of course it wouldn't work in that very instance, but it could easily be used in similar situations. I know a capper would be a bit harder to chase if he could change his direction that quickly.

i think it would not only be good for doing/stuffing up capping routes, but also may allow more complex ones, using rocks and thing to change sudden direction...

but it would need limitations, like, if u do it going towards the wall too fast u splat onto the wall

Shinigami said:
Have you ever seen anyone disc themselves off the wall in the sb flag stand so as to get out before the hof can md him? Of course it wouldn't work in that very instance, but it could easily be used in similar situations. I know a capper would be a bit harder to chase if he could change his direction that quickly.

deadjawa didnt play tribes1 dude..

he was the #1 t2 fan

Back